GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the show chrome replacement windshield. It is 2 1/2 inches taller and 3 inches wider than the stock windshield. Does it make a noticible difference?

·
Registered
132 Posts
A friend of mine bought one and tried it for a week. He didn't like it. Said it created a vacuum behind the windshield. He gave it to me and I got the same result. I didn't like the vacuum effect and I didn't like not being able to look over the windshield.

I took it off and gave it back to him. I reinstalled my oem windshield and I am much happier. My friend bought an extra tall windshield from Tulsa and he says he loves it. I'll probably ride his bike to see if I like it. He said the Tulsa creates dead air behind the windshield and makes for a much more confortable ride for the passenger.

I think I would be happier with an oem windshield with a vent. I hope this helps with your decision. :yw1:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I had a tulsa on my 1500 and it was the best accessory I ever bought. It increaseed my gas mileage and reduced wind noise a lot. I get a little more helmet buffeting that I like from the stock shield. What does the vacuum behind the windshield do? That is a description that I am not familiar with. Does the mounting position make a difference? I bought the show chrome from J.C. Whitney and mounted it but I haven't had a chance to test it. It seems to be a well made and the service was great.
Thanks again for the info
Steve C.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When the vent on the Showchrome w/s is open, there is no vacuum, but when the vent is closed the vacuum wants to pull your chest toward the windshield. I was not comfortable with this effect. I also didn't like the w/s because it extends over the rear view mirrors and obstructs their view. Again, I don't like to look thru a w/s. I prefer to see over it, but thats just me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's not just you!
I bought a motorcycle and certain things go along with it.
Rain You get wet
Cold More Clothes
Hot Sweat
Hot and Humid Sweat more
Air (wind) That's part of it, enjoy
Hail Pull over and stop
Ice and snow Don't ride
This is not a car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rottendog
Huh? So what is your opinion of the Showchrome windshield. The one I have doesn't have the vent. I had a chance to take it out today for the first time, it seems to do a very good job of eliminating the helmet buffeting that I experienced with the stock shield. I have it in the highest position, I am 6' tall and the still air pocket extends to about 8" above my head at 70 mph. In this position it doesn't cover the mirrors, but I can see that it would interfer with them in a lower position.
I have been riding since........well lets just say it has been more than 37 years...I bought a motorcycle and certain things go with it, but it is a continuos learning experience. And I like the improved technology a lot. I have owned over 80 motorcycles, never more than 13 at once, I am now down to 5. My 99 GXSR 750 was definitaly not a car, I think I know the diference. The 02 wing seems to be the best one so far....only 23000 miles on it. Anyway my car is one ton diesel truck.

D Williams
Thanks for the info. You are right, the show chrome is not a good choice for someone who wants to look over the top of the shield. After living with a Tulsa on my 1500 I got used to looking thru the windshield. In our cold Michigan weather it seemed like a good thing to do. Although when it got really hot I found myself riding tha Valkyrie a lot.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts