GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm reading through the mountain of info this site has to offer, I don't see many threads about how to outfit, load and ride solo.

A 40L dry bag bungeed in the passenger location all there is?

Anyone found some innovative ways to use the passenger section for carrying luggage on an extended trip?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a kurykan momentum wanderer touring seat bag for mine. Next month I will see how it handles a long trip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Saddlemen BR3400 Sissy Bar Bag
This is the bag I have. Has a strap that fits around my back rest and straps that I loop around the passenger grab bars. Becomes part of the bike. I just make sure that I put my wallet with license and reg in the top section of the bag. Just in case the po-po want to say hi

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have to admit that when I'm riding solo I have a tendency to ride it like I stole it more so than when my misses is seated behind me. But that's not what you were asking. I just couldn't resist.>:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've tried using the passenger seat for luggage but you can't open the trunk with anything there. Harley has the better system with a side opening trunk. I have a Bushtec rack that I can put the packet rack or a cooler on. This setup gives me more room than I need.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ride solo often, I have a 40L Firstgear dry bag that I do strap to the back seat. My right saddlebag has my wet weather gear in it, my left has my cold weather gear in it. The trunk has two helmets when I'm not riding. I take a full face for cold/wet weather and I small beanie type helmet for nice weather. Both are set up with Sena BT headsets. That is all I need when I travel solo. IF I camp, I have a backpacking tent and sleeping bag that will go in a wet sack under the 40L bag. If I'm just hoteling it.. I grab my bag off the back seat, pull the cover out of the right saddle bag then head inside.
When the wife goes, then I have a small trailer I carry, but you can also get a "pack it rack" I made one for my previous bike but unfortunately I let it go with that bike.

I friend of mine rides an Ultra Classic, and puts about 30,000+ miles per year on it. (he can fit all his luggage in the hard bags) but he has a 12v refrigerated cooler that he has on the back seat. It is only powered when the bike runs and he keeps snacks and water in it. When it is 100 outside, the water is cool!! I'm planning on doing that on my next trip. I already have one of those for my truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to admit that when I'm riding solo I have a tendency to ride it like I stole it more so than when my misses is seated behind me. But that's not what you were asking. I just couldn't resist.>:)
LOL ... I see you are a Granbury-ite ... me too.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I use a T-bag bungeed to luggage rack and seat handles. Works just fine for me.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
Have trunk rack for rain gear /gloves etc. Big bag on seat trailer hitch rack with removeable box. Put small 6 pack cooler on rite side passenger board. Put frozen bottles in it .

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Very much agree with post #8.

Here is my typical multi day trip routine;

I usually pack for 3 days even if the trip is longer.

Assuming I am staying at hotels I pack the items that stay on the bike (tools, emergency items, dry rain gear, etc) in the saddle bags.

Anything I need in the hotel (bath bag, fresh clothes bag, lap top, electronics, wallet, riding jacket, helmet, gloves, etc) is either on me or gets packed in waterproof luggage then strapped to the seat or luggage rack.

This makes it quick/simple when I get to the hotel...grab the bag strapped to the seat and head to my room.

In warm weather, upon arrival at the hotel, I head directly to the shower still wearing my bvd's, t-shirt and socks. In the shower I wash these items and myself. Then I hang the clothes to dry for for the next day, or I can swap with other clean clothes. Refreshing, keeps clothes clean & smelling good, and I am all ready for dinner & cocktails.This process usually eliminates the need for the several hour ordeal of putting laundry in a hotel washer and dryer sometime during the trip.

Typically after my shower I will clean my windshield, do a quick wipe down of the bike then cover it for the night. I try to book hotels that I can walk to dinner. Especially when riding w/friends.

Typically I wear riding pants (like Tourmaster Venture Air Pants) and Armored MC jacket that only need to be washed in between trips.

I also roll up and rubber band many packed items to save space. I usually have plenty of room.

Easy peasy!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Mitch....When we rode out to Seattle a few years back, we were on the road for 9 days. I put a cooler on the back seat and my riding buddies both had a saddlebag that sat in the rear seat. I honestly didn't use the cooler much as we'd stop at gas stations and just buy cool drinks so I could have easily left it at home. Bob @GLFlyer could tell you what bag he used and probably would let you borrow it for the trip if you wanted. The downside, as already mentioned is that it makes getting in and out of the trunk a bit harder. It's not a big deal, just put stuff you want to get to during the day in the bag on the back seat or in the right saddlebag, but it does make it hard to get to the trunk.

Having said that, between the trunk and saddlebags, you really have a lot of space without needing the back seat, or at least that is what I've concluded over time.

Specifically, I guess I've learned to pack even lighter over the years. 2 years ago we road to Banff and Glacier NP. Total trip was 9 days and our wives were with us for 5 of them. We did laundry twice on the trip in the hotel but we could have been gone for months with what we brought. We had rain gear, hot weather and cold weather gear, clothes, walking shoes and toiletries for two people along with other things such as an air compressor, plug kit, tools, cleaning towels and even a spare oil filter and a siphon hose. All of the above fit in the trunk and saddlebags and we still had room to fit in books and coffee cups we bought in Banff and Glacier to bring back home.

Point being.... if I rode solo to Seattle tomorrow. My bet is I'd 2 full saddlebags and a mostly empty trunk and have no need of any other storage. The key is knowing what to take and what you don't need. We can talk more as you get closer if you'd like and I'll share what I take and what I don't.

One other pro tip though..... electric gear is the best. It takes up very little room and makes it super easy to keep warm in the cold and yet not get too hot when the day warms up. I still could make it to Seattle and back solo without electric gear fairly easily with just the saddlebags and trunk....but moving to electric drops all the bulky cold weather stuff and almost saves an entire saddlebag. Oh...and another note....you don't need near as much protection from wind and cold as you're used to on your KTM Super Adventure. The wind protection on the Wing probably makes it feel 10 to 15 degrees warmer when it's cold. I have to dress entirely differently on my Super Duke than I do on my Wing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you're not camping, and you can't carry your stuff in the bags and trunk. Rethink what you're taking.
Depends on the specifics of the trip. Not all bike trips are made for vacation/pleasure and you might need to take items you would not usually pack.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
As I'm reading through the mountain of info this site has to offer, I don't see many threads about how to outfit, load and ride solo.

A 40L dry bag bungeed in the passenger location all there is?

Anyone found some innovative ways to use the passenger section for carrying luggage on an extended trip?
Will you be carrying camping gear ? If your not carrying camping gear everything needed for one person should very easily fit in the GL1800 storage compartments ! If it doesn’t easily fit you need to go through everything and get serious about leaving home all the extra un needed crap you don’t actually need. I’ve traveled with a lot of different folks, some are excellent packers but most bring way more stuff than they would ever need.
If I’m hauling camping gear it gets stored in a waterproof bag on the passenger seat, yes it makes it a little more difficult to open the trunk but I’m still able to use the trunk without removing the bag. Personally I don’t care for camping And prefer to leave the camping gear home but because of being worried about possibly not being able to find a motel where we happen to be going we often haul the camping gear along and many times we hauled it along for nothing but extra grief.
If you plan on hauling cooking supplies that requires hauling a bunch more crap, I’ve never hauled any cooking supplies, I figure we’re supposed to be on vacation and enjoy eating in restaurants and BSing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts