GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could do with some help on the installation procedure for the Showchrome front fender extension.
What are the two metal braces for and where do they fit? The instructions are not clear on this point.

Thanks.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey Steve,
Sorry I can't help with your inquiry. I just wanted to pass on some info to you. There have been reports that those add on extensions can cause stress cracking at the mounting points of the GW's front fender. Thought you should know. T. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I bought a slightly used (28,000 miles) 2002 about four months ago. The prior owner had attached a long chrome front fender extension. During our tour of Michigan the front fender(rear portion) started to vibrate and rattle more and more with every little bump. I stopped to look it over closely and it was in the act of self-destructing. All four of the tabs which bolt to the chrome fork leg covers were broben off and the steel inserts where the rear fender half is bolted to the forks were sterting to fall apart. I removed the add-on extension and duct-taped the remnants of the fender together to get back home. Back home I bought a new front fender rear half and replaced both chrome fork tube covers (they were cracked too). No fender extensions for my bike. :roll:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That rear front fender is one fine example of Honda engineering. They should be proud. :roll:

·
Registered
384 Posts
The tabs can break without an extension on the fender, so the extensions can't be "blamed" for the tabs breaking off.

I started to install an extension at a rally and when I removed the front section of the fender the caliper covers fell on the ground, both tabs on both sides was broken off.

So not having an extension doesn't mean that it won't break.

Allen
Tulsa Enterprises

·
Registered
428 Posts
Front Fender Extension

I tried one (can't remember where I bought it) and it started to crack in the mounting bolt area. I went out and bought a stair tread at Home Depot. Cut it to the exact length and shape I wanted. Roughed up the underside of the fender and applied some epoxy and then the new fender extension. Has held for over 15,000 miles on my 05......no problems and no rocks kicking up on my tupper wear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Front Fender Extension

nludvigson said:
I tried one (can't remember where I bought it) and it started to crack in the mounting bolt area. I went out and bought a stair tread at Home Depot. Cut it to the exact length and shape I wanted. Roughed up the underside of the fender and applied some epoxy and then the new fender extension. Has held for over 15,000 miles on my 05......no problems and no rocks kicking up on my tupper wear.
How about a photo of your results? Sounds intreguing....

·
Registered
244 Posts
goldwingrider.steve said:
I could do with some help on the installation procedure for the Showchrome front fender extension.
What are the two metal braces for and where do they fit? The instructions are not clear on this point.

Thanks.
The two metal braces are for bracing the sides of the mudguard with the extension fitted. They go inside the mudguard, one on each side (they are different lengths) from the side bolt of the extension to the FRONT most existing mudguard mount. Points to note...

1. It should be obvious which goes on which side once you have the holes drilled for the extension.

2. To be able to use the supplied, extremely short bolts, into the back of the existing front most mounting points you MUST tap out the threads all the way through.

When I fitted mine it looked slighly off center once everything was bolted back up on the bike. To correct this I slackened everything off, including the three extension bolts to the mudguard and everything centered nicely.

Hope that helps. I'm sorry I don't remember the size of the tap that is required for the threads, but it does tell you in the instructions.

Regards,

·
Registered
126 Posts
i bought the cheap plastic one my dealer had used two bolts and two sided tape ,went to alaska and back 8500 miles no cracks or problems also put a rack on the trunk and carried 25 to 30 pounds on it round trip no cracks. the extension i used is chrome plastic.xx

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Front Fender Extension

nludvigson said:
That sounds like something I might try. Any pics?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Belly Pan & Fender Extension

Installed the after-market colored extension in July '03 right after I bought the bike. Now approaching 25K miles. Took the fender assembly apart last month to R/R the brake pads. The only sign of a problem was the tape used to secure the fender extension mounting nuts had dried out, requiring me to use pliers to hold both nuts while tightening the mounting screws.
No other problems were observed.

Related problems as reported by other riders re-emphasizes the need for each rider to continously and religiously monitor their entire machine for signs of trouble and potential problems.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Putting those rubber fender extensions on the rear of the front fender have been around since the 1800 came out. Seems like all the original fender extensions were to short, so the rubber extension was called a 'Fenner Flap' after the guy that started it out. That was before Bushtec made one long enough to do the job without adding a flap. Bushtec was also the one that came up with the brace to hold the fender together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts