GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit to ignorance on this subject, because I've only had experience with one style of windshield, a Tulsa Tall, which was on the bike when I bought it.

My question is this: is the Tulsa Tall the best windshield for keeping the wind off the rider? What makes me ask is that the windshield I'm currently using slopes back at a severe angle, but has no "lip" on it like others that sit more upright. I'm wondering if the "lip" would do a better job of diverting air over the rider. I'm not especially concerned about buffetting the passenger, because I do 98% of my riding solo.
I've got the windshield adjusted to a relatively high position, but still get a fair amount of wind on my helmet, creating a lot of wind noise. If I adjust it any higher, the force of the wind at highway speeds makes it flatten out, making it worse. Does it get any better than this with a different style of windshield?
Thanks in advance for any/all information.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds like you are missing the gasket kit that comes with the Tulsa shield.

I bought a used Tulsa extra tall and installed it without the gasket kit (didn’t know about it) and had the same problem you describe. After installing the gasket, the shield sits a little more upright and is much more stable at highway speed. No more wind noise in the helmet. Also, this makes the shield no longer adjustable, so make sure you place it were you want before tightening everything down.

You can get the gasket kit from Tulsa direct. I was ordering some other stuff, so they threw it in for free. Don’t know what it costs when you order it by itself.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Not knowing your height or whether you like to look through the shield or over it; I can tell you from my experience that with a F4 customs +4" shield (which is 4" taller and 1" wider than OEM but with the same profile) I sit in a pocket of almost still air at all speeds.

I can't speak for the Tulsa. I've never had one because I don't like the angle. But I can tell you I like the F4. Besides the still air, very little if any buffeting, it is very clear and easy to clean.

http://www.f4customs.com/

Expensive - but you get what you pay for - at least sometimes...[/list]

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 6'1", but long waisted, so I sit tall in the saddle. On all my previous bikes, I've always looked over the windshield, but I look through the top 2" of this one. I don't really have a preference in that regard, but I'd like to eliminate the wind noise on the helmet.
Thanks to backwoods' response, I now know that I need to get hold of the gasket kit to give the Tulsa Tall a chance to work. I've already contacted them via email, so after I've got that ironed out, I'll know whether or not the Tulsa Tall will work for me. If not, I've heard enough glowing testimonials about the F4 that I'll likely give that a shot.
Thanks for the information, and the link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts