GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got interested in the phrase "When all else fails, play dead" in Latin.

Contacted a Latin teacher at our local Jesuit college and he gave me the literal translation using the proper Latin words,

"If you can do no other, pretend that your dead"
"Si nil aliud potes, simula te esse mortuum"

Now I can sleep at night knowing the translation.

Truth is, now that I'm retired I've got a LOT of time in my hands when not riding.

By the way , I'll be in Phoenix Az. this coming weekend at the motorcycle drags. Look for a bald, white bearded big dude wearing eather a Langlitz leathers t-shirt of a colorful Kona , Hawaii Harley t-shirt. If your a member of the board or member of any club in general look me up and shake my hand, the pleasure will be mine.

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes: :excited:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Bulldog, we sold our house lost all our money and had to move in with her dad so most everything has been done and I'm like the third wheel and have a LOT of time and just enough money for gas and a couple of saftey items for the Wing.

So the secret is, lose it all and live off the kindness of others and YOU TOO can have all the time if not the money you need.

Someone has to do it !

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes: :yes1:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Bulldog, we sold our house lost all our money and had to move in with her dad so most everything has been done and I'm like the third wheel and have a LOT of time and just enough money for gas and a couple of saftey items for the Wing.

So the secret is, lose it all and live off the kindness of others and YOU TOO can have all the time if not the money you need.

Someone has to do it !

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes: :yes1:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Now, ask your friend what this means:

Illegitimus non tatum carbarundum.

That way, we'll find out if the quote right! I was told this by a lawyer friend of mine, and we all know you can't trust those guys.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
Now, ask your friend what this means:

Illegitimus non tatum carbarundum.

That way, we'll find out if the quote right! I was told this by a lawyer friend of mine, and we all know you can't trust those guys.
Actually I think it mean..."Don't let the bastards get you down"

Rex
2004 CBC Wing ABS

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My favorite applies to the Wing/Harley thing.

"De gustibus non disputandum est."

"Concering the taste it is not to be argued" or

"There's no accounting for taste."

I love the way many idioms are common to cultures thousands of years apart. Here the Romans used "taste" to also mean "preferences", even though the word literally only meant flavor at first, just like we do. Even with completely different root words and constructions, we can see our brains are wired the same.

4 years of Classical and Medieval Latin and 2 years of Homeric Greek, and here, only 40 years later, I get to use it! Why, it's almost as exciting as.....nah......not even as exciting as picking up the keys to the Wing, not to mention riding 'er. But what the hell, it's raining all day. :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Isprex said:
Actually I think it means..."Don't let the bastards get you down"
That's what I thought too, I was just trying to get the opinion of someone who actually knows Latin...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
Isprex said:
Actually I think it means..."Don't let the bastards get you down"
That's what I thought too, I was just trying to get the opinion of someone who actually knows Latin...
Well..took three years of it in high school..but didn't know much then...and now even less over thirty years later. However..I think I do remember...."puella bona est"

Rex
2004 CBC ABS

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Illegitimus non tatum carbarundum
I think it would closer to: "Don't let the bastards wear you down" , carborundum being a trademark for a silicon carbide abrasive. I'd have to ask my retired minister dad for one of his Latin translation dictionary to be sure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have that "Illegitimus... " saying on my toolbox. Their translation is "Don't let the bastards grind you down"

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I agree with Dwight! I had a sign over my desk about 15 years ago that I displayed. It was directed at my boss but since he didn't know latin (or the secret) he didn't understand that he was the ******* I was referring to ...

life is great now that I am retired! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts