GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you fine riders find a yellow and chrome right cover east of the Badlands on i 90 please let me know. Sucks as I replaced all the grommets before I left. Will tether them from now on

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ya have to check and double check that front grommet. It likes to push into and past the frame hole when you push the cover on. If the wind gets under the front one away it may go.

I use spray contact glue to glue them in, and grease the cover lugs with some kind of white grease, and then once installed pull out on the front one and make sure it is secure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Kit now that sounds like very good advice to me. I still havent tethered mine down.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i did the mini tie wraps on mine and use a little silicone on a Q tip to lube them before putting the side cover on, i use a little spit to install the covers when away from home. when i got the bike and removed the covers for the first time three grommets were pushed out of place, not hard to see how easy it would be to loose the covers. i have been thinking about doing fish line tethers on mine, what is enough? for those that have lost a cover was a grommet gone or partly pushed through ?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Ya have to check and double check that front grommet. It likes to push into and past the frame hole when you push the cover on. If the wind gets under the front one away it may go.

I use spray contact glue to glue them in, and grease the cover lugs with some kind of white grease, and then once installed pull out on the front one and make sure it is secure.
I keep a small jar of Murphy's soap in the trunk to lube the grommets. Murphy's will not deteriorate the rubber like most greases will.

·
Vendor
18,623 Posts
The grommits need replacing as they wear out and should always be checked and replaced as needed anytime a panel is removed. They are a wearing part. You should not have to glue them, tie them, wire them, or prey for them. Some people will spray them with a lube, never do that either. Soap or a graphite powder of baby powder would be the product to use.

Here is why the engine panels fly off. Many Wings come from OH with the "rubber tensioner arms" missing. There is 1 per side. They put outer pressure on the cover to keep it from fluttering. Of the 2 new GL1800 I purchased new, only 1 panel had one. Of the 4 GL1800s I've owned, still only 1 panel had it. That means 7 panels had them missing.

It is part #1.
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...y=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2007&fveh=12119

·
Registered
334 Posts
What I found also works great as a rubber preservative/lube is DOT 5 brake fluid, it's silicone. Also used it to install the rubber vacuum tubing inside the trunk lid gasket and I wipe it on the trunk/saddle cover gaskets so they don't stick. Works great on cage door/trunk gaskets too. I had some left over DOT 5 from my Harley and at $20 a quart, wasn't going to pass it on to the new Harley owner, just repurpose it.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Epoxy a small key ring on back, then use a small bungee strap. I bent the bungee hook around the ring, and then other end around the frame and hook onto itself. Using a 6 inch mini bungee size. Also tie groments in place with floss string, or something, so they cannot fall out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and great ideas . Now that I am home it is time to start shopping for another one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts