GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was involved yesturday in a small fender bender on wich my side panel where the radiator fan is, was scratched.

It is minor but knowing me, I will get it painted really soon. Need to know how to remove that side pannel

Anyone knows step by step instructions.

Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well that would take about ten pages of photos. Off with the seat and shelter, all the front panels and then the entire front fairing is removed. Front garish and so on. Lots to it, but not hard.

The best thing you can do for that is to purchase a service manual for your year bike and follow it step by step.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found I had my old 2003 service CD manual............It gives me lots of details but not how to remove the left side panel only. On the picture from the manual, it looks like the headlights and both panel comes out together

Attachments

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
The best thing you can do for that is to purchase a service manual for your year bike and follow it step by step.
:thumbup:

It's a PITA to do but like Kit said, it's not hard. Very time consuming and each and every bolt needs to be labeled or marked so they go back in the correct place. For a job like this, DO NOT depend on instructions from this board. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but it's too easy to miss a step. Get a service manual. It will serve you well in the long run.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,472 Posts
Found I had my old 2003 service CD manual............It gives me lots of details but not how to remove the left side panel only. On the picture from the manual, it looks like the headlights and both panel comes out together
Yes, they do and then you remove the panel from the fairing. As you can see in the manual, the shelter and seat can be left on, only the trim strips and a bunch of screws are removed. The procedure in the manual does work as instructed, but your 09 may have a few changes that the 03 manual won't list. :thumbup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant take it to a shop.....scratches are to close to the light......need to be removed........thanks guys for the advises

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,758 Posts
Only one side of the fairing can be removed and I've done that, but I think it's just better to remove the whole fairing and then take the fairing apart on a table...but like others have said the top shelter, mirrors, the front fairing panels and inter fairing panels, fairing garnish, the windshield and dash panel all have to come off and then the fairing is held on with only three bolts and about 6 wire connector need to be unplugged and the fairing pulls off easily.....make sure when putting it back on that you don't push the rubber gromets out of the fairing frame tubing where the fairing post sit in....real easy to do that.
My first time was on a friends fixing crash damage with no manual...not a hard job...sounds harder than it really is.....just have to keep all the bolts for the different parts in order so they all go back where they are suppose to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts