GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Airbag-The side stand is binding up. I put it on the center stand and took the side stand switch and spring off. The stand is wobbly in the mount. The bolt though the U shaped mounting plate and stand is loosely fitting which lets the side of the stand dig into the back of mounting plate. I will check for a washer that may be missing on the parts fiche in a minute. Any thoughts? Oh BTW that main bolt is a bear to loosen.

·
Registered
568 Posts
2008 Airbag-The side stand is binding up. I put it on the center stand and took the side stand switch and spring off. The stand is wobbly in the mount. The bolt though the U shaped mounting plate and stand is loosely fitting which lets the side of the stand dig into the back of mounting plate. I will check for a washer that may be missing on the parts fiche in a minute. Any thoughts? Oh BTW that main bolt is a bear to loosen.
It's quite common for them to wobble.
If your sidestand is not moving and retracting freely then it's almost certainly due to lack of lubrication.
Just add a couple of drops of oil every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Mine was pretty loose but not binding up. I replaced the bolt and sidestand. Much better but it does have some wobble. I think that's the way they are.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I lube the sidestand with Triflow at every oil change but it was still getting pretty sloppy so I replaced it with a trike take off at 450,000 miles.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
To remove the side stands pivot bolt, remove the nut first. The bolt is not only threaded into the nut but its mount too. For lube, Honda calls for lithium base grease. To me that means White Lithium grease. Be sure to clean and inspect all rubbing surfaces first.

For more help ... mileage ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts