GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 wing, when it was new put a Kury side stand on it which made it look good and it has worked fine (20K later) ever since. today I was checking the bike out for a trip on the center stand and having nothing better to do I put the side stand down and found that it had some play in it when I pulled it back and forth (90 degrees from the bike.) I have a full sized SO that has to mount by standing on the peg and going leg over. The stand may have been this way since new but I never tried to check it this way before. My question(finally) is this slack normal and have any of you ever had a side stand failure ? Thanks gene

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You can put a shim, (thin washer), in the stand slot and remove a lot of the slack. I have the Duck Foot kickstand shimmed and there is virtually no play. My wife also needs to mount with the bike on the kickstand.

Trev.

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 on the shim.
I made a very thin shim from a brass washer.
Took care of the shim.
Swings freely but no thump when the bike comes onto the stand.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
New ones have virtually NO side slop
(I have a bucket full of them from NEW trike take off's.)

My wife gets on with the sidestand down too
and I'm on my third one
(sidestand, not wife).

I think how fast they get sloppy depends
on weight applied and dirt/sand "grinding factor"
... pretty sandy down here in Florida.

You can pick up a new stock stand pretty cheap.
Usually includes the stand, bolts, back plate and springs
as a unit ...
everything "new" again.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
A little chain lube (foaming type) can keep the joint lubricated. Will help lengthen it's life. Mine had some slop in it brand new so I think they make them loose on purpose.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Same with my side stand

I just installed the Baker "Ride Off/On" stand....wonder why I waitied to do so!!

Getting on/off with the wife is much, much easier....one of the top 5 add-ons I have purchased for the Wing

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A little chain lube (foaming type) can keep the joint lubricated. Will help lengthen it's life. Mine had some slop in it brand new so I think they make them loose on purpose.
Good point on the lube.

Don't be afraid to take the side stand off every now and again so you can give the pivot a good cleaning and get 'er greased up proper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts