GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the chrome (wide foot) stand I had on my ‘02 GL1800 will work on my 2018 DCT? Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the same one as Pnuts. Great addition to the bike. I have a gravel driveway and the stock foot would dig a hole quickly, not any more.

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
The Rivco one works well and is definitely the best solution available "at present", but I've been looking at that ugly weird-shaped foot for more than 10 years and always hated it.

We'll have a nice looking one, with a "Wing" style that fits the lines of the bike and looks like it came from Honda available in a few weeks. It's being loaded onto our 5-axis mill right now!

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
The Rivco one works well and is definitely the best solution available "at present", but I've been looking at that ugly weird-shaped foot for more than 10 years and always hated it.

We'll have a nice looking one, with a "Wing" style that fits the lines of the bike and looks like it came from Honda available in a few weeks. It's being loaded onto our 5-axis mill right now!

Pictures max? TIA.:smile2:

·
Vendor
2,349 Posts
Pictures max? TIA.:smile2:

While "sharing" the development and prototype process of our grab rails I learned people can't tell the difference between plastic prototypes and finished parts... People said horrible things about them. Now, they love them!

We are through CAD, Rapid Prototyping, CNC Programming, and we're waiting on our main mill to open up (it's still running grab rail parts :grin2:), but that should be open by the end of the week and we'll be setting up the new foot.

So I'll just wait until I can show you one! :grin2:

I'm also producing a dip stick extender to make it very easy to check your oil. That is actually already machined and at sandblast right now. Then off to anodize. Should be able to show it in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
While "sharing" the development and prototype process of our grab rails I learned people can't tell the difference between plastic prototypes and finished parts... People said horrible things about them. Now, they love them!

We are through CAD, Rapid Prototyping, CNC Programming, and we're waiting on our main mill to open up (it's still running grab rail parts :grin2:), but that should be open by the end of the week and we'll be setting up the new foot.

So I'll just wait until I can show you one! :grin2:

I'm also producing a dip stick extender to make it very easy to check your oil. That is actually already machined and at sandblast right now. Then off to anodize. Should be able to show it in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update.:smile2:

·
Registered
560 Posts

I have the Rivco foot and in my opinion the 1/2 inch long set screw provided is too short. More than half of the set screw is exposed before contacting the stock side stand. Seemed that the Foot kept loosening up over time. I installed a chrome button head 1/4" - 28 pitch 1.1 inches long and it's now staying tight with the additional thread contact.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I always thought that the bike leaned over too much on the side stand, so I decided to make a permanent change to the stand.
I welded on a steel plate 3/16 inch thick (4.7mm), by 1.5 inch wide by 3 inches long, then painted it with high temp semi-gloss spray paint.
It worked out great and provides a very stable rest and reduces the lean angle slightly.
The heel of the added foot is the only part that comes close to the exhaust pipe, but there is enough clearance.

The side stand spring is heavy duty and difficult to remove, so I made a tool using a very strong stainless steel rod with a few bends in it, and added some tape to protect my hands.
There is an electric switch that is mounted on the stand, but it can be moved safely out of the way while removing the stand.

I did this mod shortly after I got the bike when there were no options available yet, but I don't mind doing things the hard way as long as I am happy with the result.
Here are a few pics.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I backed the set screw off several turns and dripped LocTite 242 into the female threads, then retightened it. I will check it periodically, but I bet that will keep it from vibrating loose.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I backed the set screw off several turns and dripped LocTite 242 into the female threads, then retightened it. I will check it periodically, but I bet that will keep it from vibrating loose.
I have the Rivco foot and in my opinion the 1/2 inch long set screw provided is too short. More than half of the set screw is exposed before contacting the stock side stand. Seemed that the Foot kept loosening up over time. I installed a chrome button head 1/4" - 28 pitch 1.1 inches long and it's now staying tight with the additional thread contact.
I don't think it's vibration causing the set screw to come loose. Every time you put the bike on the side stand there is force applied to the set screw which over time loosens it. Have had the button head bolt installed now for 2 months and it's remained tight.

I would have preferred to install a 3/4" or 1" set screw but could non find one with fine thread available locally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
has anyone had trouble with the Rivco pad not fitting? I got mine today and it won't slide on to the sidestand, it seems like I'll need to grind the foot down so it will slide on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts