GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Our last trip to AK was In early June, 2018. That was a bit early for us as we hit quite a bit of snow and very cold rain. The roads are rarely a challenge these days. Some road construction is inevitable and can be tough in wet weather just like anywhere else. In 2018, most of the roadhouses were open but seemed to be dedicated to serving the oil industry so I’m not sure if they sold gas to the public. IMO, the Cassiar Highway is now a better motorcycle trip than the AK Highway.
I was on the Cassiar last year pulling a travel trailer. The Cassiar is much more scenic than the Alcan for sure but the road is pretty rough in an lot of areas due to frost heave. I travelled it in June and there were a ton of black bears along the road. I would not hesitate to take it on my Goldwing though. Fuel is more limited and lodging is as well so have plans to camp or make reservations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was on the Cassiar last year pulling a travel trailer. The Cassiar is much more scenic than the Alcan for sure but the road is pretty rough in an lot of areas due to frost heave. I travelled it in June and there were a ton of black bears along the road. I would not hesitate to take it on my Goldwing though. Fuel is more limited and lodging is as well so have plans to camp or make reservations.
The Cassiar is definitely a "wilder" sort of route than the Alaska Highway these days. On much of the Cassiar, the woods are very close to the roadway and not cut way back like along the Alaska Highway.

My first time over the full length Cassiar was in 2007 and I was concerned about its length (442 miles) and isolation. I made the distance in one day so lodging was not an issue. At that time, much of the road was either muddy construction or in rough frost-heaved condition. It was difficult to gather much useful information in advance in those days. The Milepost is useful in some ways but it says nothing about day to day road conditions. It turned out that gas availability was not a problem. In fact, there are stretches along the AK Highway with longer fuel.
Here is a typical view along the Cassiar.
47E1B40D-0EA6-4462-B3C8-46E40B8FEA97.jpeg

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Cassiar is a nice on a Wing. It reminds me of how sections of the Alcan used to be before it was changed to modern standards. I normally will ride it in two days. Most of my trips we stop to camp Bell II It has gas, food, lodge, cabins and a campground with nice showers and flush toilets. Near the northern end you will find Boya Lake Provincial Park.

On the Cassiar my gas stops are with a Wing pulling a RAH camper
At the south end, Junction with highway 16
Meziadin Junction, 98 mi
Bell 2 Lodge, 58 mi
Dease Lake, 150 mi
Junction 37, 150 mi at this point you join the Alcan about 13 miles west of Watson Lake

·
Registered
660 Posts
The wife and I stayed at Kinaskan Lake Provincial Park and it was one of my favorite stops for the entire trip from Oregon to Skagway AK. Many of the camp sites back up to the lake shore. The provincial parks are worth checking out for camping.
Kinaskan is 80 miles south of Dease Lake and 125 miles north of Meziadin Junction.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts