GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone else, when riding on two wheels I have had the occasion to encounter situations of extreme side winds that I neither liked nor handled very well. There were times when I felt that I had the bike leaned at a 45 degree angle (exaggeration) just to keep going in a straight line; and sudden gusts were even worse to deal with. Not having ridden a trike in such conditions, I was just wondering how a trike handles in extreme side wind conditions. In the early spring we have a lot of wind in my area, and this will be my first spring on a trike. You thoughts and comments on your experience would be most appreciated. :)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
High winds will effect it about the same, problem is, you can't lean into the wind to correct or counter the wind...

You need to be aware of the wind conditions and be prepared for gusts..you'll have to steer into the wind a little to counteract the wind gusts..

Sort of like driving a van or truck or any vehicle that sits high....

It's not a big problem, you just need to be ready....

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well my experience has been a little different. When I moved from Harley's to Wings, I noticed a big difference in crosswind buffeting (much more severe).

When I triked, I found it much better and more stable. Both front buffeting (from meeting 18 wheelers), and side buffeting from cross wind. This last summer on my trike, I came from Colorado back to East Texas across the panhandle. Always alot of wind. I made the exact same trip the summer b/4 on two wheels, and the trike was far more stable. Not nearly as beat to death, the trike would not move over half a foot when we hit a gust.

True I could feel it, but the trike stayed straight on. This was a benefit from triking that I was not expecting.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it. Others may vary. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
We have both a GL1800 bike and a GL1800 Champion trike. The wind effects the trike way less then it does the bike. We have been in some terrible winds and Holly doesn't have nearly as much of the trike wanting to be blown sideways as my bike does.

G

·
No problem. Just like driving a car in high side winds, except in a car you don't get your helmet nearly blown off. :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I know some of the trikes with the lower floor boards have more issues with the wind.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also found it less of a problem with a trike...

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. I was truly hoping that the wind might effect the trike less than the 2 wheels. Time will only tell for me, but I am certainly looking forward to hitting the road on three wheels as opposed to two. Between the big rigs and the extreme cross winds, I was getting a little beaten up by the two, especially if they occurred at the same time. I'll let you know how my experience goes. Thanks again. :D

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
For me, the wind is less of a bother with the trike, and I have the ground effects. I just lean on the appropriate side of the handlebars to counter the effects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts