GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

Hope everyone is doing well these days? So a new toy hit the garage last week, and I figured I’d drop a pic! 2020 Ural Gear Up, in Gobi camo! I’ll save ya’ll the effort… yup its overpriced, old tech, unreliable (TBD) and well pretty darn slow! But damn its fun! It will never dethrone the F6B as king of the garage! But should make winter more interesting, gravel is no longer feared and grocery shopping has become fun again! Be safe everyone! Jon

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you are not aware "Soviet Steeds" seems to be the forum for getting information on these. Welcome to the sidecar world.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are not aware "Soviet Steeds" seems to be the forum for getting information on these. Welcome to the sidecar world.
Hi Big Tom,

Yes I am well aware of Soviet Steeds! Just like this forum, they are a great bunch of folks over there! I did the majority of my pre purchase research, by scouring their forum! Thanks Jon

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
2017 Ural Patrol, that was just advertised on Craigslist in Vancouver WA
For some unknown reason this has hit my hot button. :unsure:

·
Registered
408 Posts
That really is a cool bike for sure. I would love to put a sidecar on the 2018 Wing so I can take the hound for a ride with me. Has anyone did a sidecar on the 2018+?

·
Registered
218 Posts
There's a Ural dealership not too far from me in Holopaw. Years ago I stopped in just to look. Always thought they were great looking machines and probably a blast to ride. The paint on the one you have there is particularly eye-catching. Enjoy!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Alright, after seeing that beautiful bike I thought I'd do a bit of research and discover the relationship between the Ural and BMW. I mean, there had to be one and there actually is. In doing so I ran across this story from Cycle World. LMAO! Its worth a read: The Unnecessary Express

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Cool beans.

Several guys in our local military vehicle club have those. Fantastic vehicles for car shows. Crowd pleasers. One guy has his all set up with airsoft machine guns and mounts. Looks great.

One guy drives his to work every day.

I have one on my list. When I’m done messing with my truck I may get one to downsize my hardware for ease of maintenance . I find motorcycles easier to work on as I age.

Fun stuff.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
That really is a cool bike for sure. I would love to put a sidecar on the 2018 Wing so I can take the hound for a ride with me. Has anyone did a sidecar on the 2018+?
A few months back there was a White 2018 on the United Sidecar forum with a sidecar installed by Hannigan.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I took my 3-wheel Washington State endorsement exam on a Ural with a sidecar. A blast to ride and "fly the monkey".

Highly recommend anyone buying a MC/sidecar, take a MSF 3-wheel course as there are differences. Part of the course required you to fly your sidecar 30+ yards just to understand the balance.

For two years, I would commute to work on some twisty rural roads up into the foothills of the Cascade Mountains in Western Washington and see an OD green Ural (like this one) a couple times a week. Always honked at him.

If you have a dog, they'll love it.

Congrats!

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
637 Posts
SUPER Cool! LOVE the camo!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
There's a well-documented "tax" associated with side cars, it's called the "travel-time tax".

If you're driving across the country, you're just driving across the country.
If you're riding across the country, add a day of travel time, because random people may want to talk about your trip.
If you're riding a sidecar across the country, add three days, because everybody is going to ask where you're from, where you're going, what kind of sidecar it is, how it steers, where did you find it, is it two wheel drive, does your dog like riding in it, oh my cousin's uncle had one, etc.... :D Good stuff, tho. I want one. How does it steer? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
280 Posts
A few years ago I bought a 2012 Ural Patrol as a 2nd bike to the wing:

Not sure I'd want one as my only bike, but as a 2nd bike they are good fun.

Reactions: CAWing and Brundage
1 - 20 of 20 Posts