GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently obligated to taking care of our 8 year old grandaughter. The wife says that she cannot make our annual summer trip this year because of the grandaughter. When I mentioned taking the grandaughter along in a sidecar my wife was all for it. So now I am looking for sidecar info from users.
What kind do you have?
Can 2 people sit in it?
Is it enclosed for bad weather?
What happens to gas mileage?
How much storage space does it have?
How do you like it?
Does it detach easy for normal motorcycle use?
Does it steer hard?
Does it tend to steer the bike when accelerating or decelerating or braking?
And of course any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
While some might be able to assist you here, you might have more luck in the Trike forum.

Lots of sidecar folks over there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A sidecar is a totally different animal than anything else. I have a Motorvation attached to an 82 1100. The tug has major modifications and will never be anything but a sidecar tug. Yes it will pull one way or the other, I would recommend a brake on the sidecar. My rig has room for an adult and a child but each one is different. Can't say on gas mileage but I would expect a significant change. The attachment to the bike is fairly complicated and not something you are going to remove and attach easily. Do a google for the United States Sidecar Association they have a wealth of knowledge. If you go this route take a class, these thing are very different, nothing like a trike, and you can get in over your head in a hurry if you aren't careful. Once you have a solid grasp of the physics involved they are a ball. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If you go the sidecar route go to a dealer that specializes in rigs. Do it right and don't try to get by with cheap stuff. Have them teach you how to drive it as there is nothing on the road as awkward as a sidecar. Throw a couple sandbags in it and go run 5000 miles before you take your wife and that little girl. I had a car for a couple years and wish I would of taken my advice. They can be put on and off easy. I had some marks on my garage floor that would let me check the alignment quickly and make any adjustments. Once you get good it can be a lot of fun. Every once in a while in a curve I would panic because I was sitting on a bike but leaning the wrong way. Never did get use to that. Don't think I would go with a rig again.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the inputs. That was about the shortest lived idea I have ever had. I am a 2 wheel rider and the inputs from all of you tell me that a sidecar is not for me.:wrong:

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jack D, I'm sorry to hear that you've given up on the sidecar idea. While I admit it's not for everyone, it's been a blast for me for the past five years; and a great way to spend more quality time with my kids.

Before I purchased mine, I did some research to find the rig with the widest hip room as well as other comfort features. I settled with the Hannigan Astro 2+2 after a visit to their place in Murray, KY. Great people with a great product!

It seats two small adults or big kids easily with two belts and can be completely enclosed with the removeable hardtop. My 18yr old son still rides with me occasionally and he's 6'8" tall! We've turned many a heads as he climbs out of there! :eek:

I experience about a 25% drop in gas mileage with it attached and loaded. The trunk is so spacious I cancelled my plans to get a matching trailer. I don't win any stop light wars, but that was never my intention. With Hannigan's set-up, I can remove it in 15 minutes and re-connect in about 30.

As for the ride, I definitely feel a pull to the right on hard acceleration and a slight pull to the left when braking. The disk brake on the car helps mitagate some of the pull. The electric camber control is great for "leveling out" the road. It takes some getting used to the "steering" as opposed to "countersteering" but that was no major obstacle to me. I love the idea of not having to put my feet down at stops. :lol:

I can whip around left turns like a go cart, but right ones can feel a little squirrely if done too fast. At 300 lbs., the Astro 2+2 is heavy enough to stay firmly planted on most turns.

Finally, do I like it? YES +100! :lol: But I also have my VTX to ride when I get the "need to lean". Once the kids are all gone, I'll probably go to a trike. I think I'm sold on the 3-wheel option!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Back in the 70's I went to a sidecar for the same reasons you stated, I wanted to include my kids with my riding. I didn't get any schooling and learned by trail & error, with a lot of grace. The first problem for me was remembering there is about four extra feet on the right side of the bike to allow for. But I learned and the kids loved it. Took them all around the Pacific Northwest, one trip to Kansas for a Moto Guzzi rally, another trip down through California & Nevada pulling a camp trailer behind the sidecar. I had my two little girls with me on that trip. They had a 12 volt portable TV in the sidecar. We got lots of looks when pulling into a camp ground and kids & TV, stoves come out and the tent trailer goes up. The kids grew up and I finally got out of the sidecar scene.
I am now actually thinking about it again because of my wife's broken ankle problem that won't heal properly. We had to sell her Goldwing, she could no longer support it.
If interested, I had 74 Moto Guzzi 850 Ambassador with Ural sidecar. Then I attached the Ural sidecar to a 76 Moto Guzzi 1000 Convert, Last a 1980 Kawasaki 1300 tourer with Vetter sidecar.
Pictures can be found here:
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/p63831562

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Back in the 70's I went to a sidecar for the same reasons you stated, I wanted to include my kids with my riding. I didn't get any schooling and learned by trail & error, with a lot of grace. The first problem for me was remembering there is about four extra feet on the right side of the bike to allow for. But I learned and the kids loved it. Took them all around the Pacific Northwest, one trip to Kansas for a Moto Guzzi rally, another trip down through California & Nevada pulling a camp trailer behind the sidecar. I had my two little girls with me on that trip. They had a 12 volt portable TV in the sidecar. We got lots of looks when pulling into a camp ground and kids & TV, stoves come out and the tent trailer goes up. The kids grew up and I finally got out of the sidecar scene.
I am now actually thinking about it again because of my wife's broken ankle problem that won't heal properly. We had to sell her Goldwing, she could no longer support it.
If interested, I had 74 Moto Guzzi 850 Ambassador with Ural sidecar. Then I attached the Ural sidecar to a 76 Moto Guzzi 1000 Convert, Last a 1980 Kawasaki 1300 tourer with Vetter sidecar.
Pictures can be found here:
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/p63831562
Thanks for sharing your photos :yes1:,I enjoyed seeing of the different bikes :thumbup: and the wedding pics. :congrats:
How did you like the 72' Water Buffalo?...I rode a 73' Water Buffalo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts