GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question is just begging abuse from those of you who get to ride 12 months of the year but , here goes:

For winter storage of my wing in a heated garage with a level concrete floor do you recommend using the centre stand or the side stand and why? I know that the sidestand will give more stability but the centrestand is tempting me because it keeps the rear tire off the ground. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Mine is always on the centerstand, but is located where there is not possibility of it getting knocked over. I ride year round if possible, and it never leaves the garage unless the air pressure and tires are checked. Centerstand makes this easiser.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Center stand for sure and a jack under the engine to take the load off the front tire. This will take the load off your springs so they don't sack out before their time and will help your tires by not flat spotting them. I have used this method for thirty years now.
It will also make the preasure check and the wheel cleaning much easier when you are getting ready to ride again.

My Valk doesn't have a center stand so that one spends the winter on the jack. An added benefit is that straight up bikes take up a bit less room in my already overcrowded garage.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Saddletramp said:
... but the centrestand is tempting me because it keeps the rear tire off the ground. Your thoughts?
Use the centerstand. Not only does it take the rear tire off the ground, it also reduces the amount of weight on the front tire. Also, you could use a "Fred wood jack"(tm) to lift the front tire completely off the ground. If I remember correctly the wood is about 7-1/2" long.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Centerstand is what I have used for years. It takes up less spacein my garage that way.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would go with the centerstand. You can go a step further and crib the front with a block of wood to keep the front wheel off the ground. Having done all this you can idle the engine some with the trans in gear. This may help with seals. Just remember to idle until the engine is fully warmed. Don't forget to use fuel stabilizer. To me, this is better than pickling the bike.

Back in the '70s I lived just across the border near Caribou ME. By this time of year the snow was flying and riding came to an end. I didn't have a heated garage so pickling was not an option. The bike just wasn't the same in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I apologize for changing direction a little, but my question is related to the center stand. Do any of you have tips or suggestions for making it easier to get the bike up onto the center stand?

I have a LOT of arthritis in my lower back, shoulders, hands (especially the thumbs), and torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Now that you know many of my infirmities, please help me with easing the difficulty of getting the darn thing on the center stand. :roll:

Thanks very much. :)

Todd

·
Registered
501 Posts
wvnnva said:
I apologize for changing direction a little, but my question is related to the center stand. Do any of you have tips or suggestions for making it easier to get the bike up onto the center stand?

Thanks very much. :)

Todd
Don't know the company's name but someone makes a short stand that you can put the bike in reverse with the stand hitting the ground and it will roll the bike on the stand itself. The bad thing is the rear tire is not off the ground. may be a good option for you.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Peter Gun said:
Center stand for sure and a jack under the engine to take the load off the front tire. This will take the load off your springs so they don't sack out before their time and will help your tires by not flat spotting them. I have used this method for thirty years now.
It will also make the preasure check and the wheel cleaning much easier when you are getting ready to ride again.
DITTO

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
Saddletramp said:
... but the centrestand is tempting me because it keeps the rear tire off the ground. Your thoughts?
Use the centerstand. Not only does it take the rear tire off the ground, it also reduces the amount of weight on the front tire. Also, you could use a "Fred wood jack"(tm) to lift the front tire completely off the ground. If I remember correctly the wood is about 7-1/2" long.
BINGO! Works for me, and yes, the piece of wood is 7 1/2" long. (edited) :oops:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Good article in Wing World this month about winterizing bikes. It recomends using the center stand for sure.
Todd, you can do a search for different techniques. Myself I put the bike on the side stand, upright the bike while lightly pushing down the center stand until it "finds its footing" It'll seem like you are going to push it over. Remember, you can always yank it back down on the side stand. Then try to drive center stand down thru the floor. Don't try lifting the bike. You can't lift 900 lbs. If this isn't easy enough rock it a couple of times and it'll roll right up.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Ever notice the concrete floor in your garage getting wet from moisture coming up through it?

It's a pretty good idea also to put a sheet of plastic or cardboard under your bike to keep that moisture from getting into your Wing from the underside.

·
Premium Member
19,849 Posts
move south-we ride all 12 months

seriously if you have a heated garage don't cover your bike it can keep moister in and moister is what promotes rust and effects fluids like hydrolic brake or clutch

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I gotta disagree with you on the stability issue. To me the center stand is much more stable than the o.e. sidestand even though the rear tire is slightly off the ground. That o.e. sidestand is too small for these bikes and does concern me a little. As for storage, I hate rub it in but we never have to here, I ride year round and can't relate to you on this. T. 8)

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Another good reason to use the centerstand for extended parking is to keep oil from pooling in the left side of the engine.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
WeKnee and DGM, thank you for your suggestions. I will give them a try. I appreciate you taking time to try and help me, and my body also says thanks. :roll:

When using the sidestand, I keep a piece of 2' x 6" under it so that the bike is not leaning over quite as far. Don't know that it does muc good other than keeping the bike in a more upright position.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. :D

Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had a number of bikes over the last 38 years of riding. If the bike had a center stand I always put it on that for the winter. I start my bike about 3-4 times during the winter and I run it through the gears just to recoat everything with oil. I've never found the center stand to be unstable on any of the bikes. I wish my Road Star had a center stand but then that wouldn'd be cruiserish. :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.