GL1800Riders Forums banner

Sidestand or centrestand for winter storage?

8K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  wvnnva 
I apologize for changing direction a little, but my question is related to the center stand. Do any of you have tips or suggestions for making it easier to get the bike up onto the center stand?

I have a LOT of arthritis in my lower back, shoulders, hands (especially the thumbs), and torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. Now that you know many of my infirmities, please help me with easing the difficulty of getting the darn thing on the center stand. :roll:

Thanks very much. :)

Todd

WeKnee and DGM, thank you for your suggestions. I will give them a try. I appreciate you taking time to try and help me, and my body also says thanks. :roll:

When using the sidestand, I keep a piece of 2' x 6" under it so that the bike is not leaning over quite as far. Don't know that it does muc good other than keeping the bike in a more upright position.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. :D

Todd

Don Swanburg said:
WV

Rise the rear suspension to the top.

Try driving the rear wheel onto a 1 inch board.

Either, or both will mean the bike has to be lifted less.
Thanks Don. Yeh, that does make sense, about the board that is. Now why in the heck didn't I think of that. Oh myyyy..... :roll: :oops:

However, I am almost afraid to ask ab/raising the suspension. Oh what the he$$. :roll: I am not grasping how raising the suspension will help. It seems you would not be changing anything of significance. :shock: :? :? :?

Todd

All Boots No Saddle said:
ziggystyles said:
... As far as stability, I think the bike is more stable on the side stand because the weight is leaning the bike over. But if you have the bike up on two small points in the mid sectoin of the bike, its going to be less stable.
Yep. That's why when you take your bike on a ferry you are required to use your side stand.
Boots, all I have ever been "required" to do when I take my bike on the ferry is pay the fee to ride. :? :wink: :lol:

Todd

DC, now don't I feel like a dumba$$. :oops: Thanks for helping my feeble mind understand why raising the suspension makes sense. Of course it now is very clear. I apologize for my lack of understanding but I am what I am. :roll: :(

Obviously I do not have a mechanically inclined mind (either). I appreciate your helpfulness and patience. Thanks much. :D

Todd

Hey Boots, I was just kidding with you. :) The "wink" smiley was intended to convey that, but maybe it did not work.The ferry ride across the Potomac River where I have crossed has never mentioned side or center stand. I have always used the side stand anyway. The ride is pretty short, maybe 10 min. Besides, by the time I got the Wing up on the centerstand the ride would be over. :roll:

Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.