GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At local Dealer's I saw a Sidestand Pad for the GL-1800 listed at $28.94

It's a pad that fits on the stock sidestand foot & you tighten a setscrew to hold it on - making the small stock foot much larger.

Any links to this online (cheaper)?

·
Registered
732 Posts
One of the best purchases I made from Hal.
Living in Florida with all of it's sugar sand you need a puck or something to put down, so your bike won't fall over, when you put the side stand down.
The Rivco attachment is what the doctor ordered........works just as well in grass too.
Just make sure you put some lock-tite on the set screw when you install it or it will fall off.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've been using the Rivco plate for about 2 1/2 years now. It slides on and is secured with a set screw. You might have to check the set screw from time to time as mine has loosened up a couple times. Maybe a little locktite would help. It has worked well.
I also made a modifcation to it when I was using a 70 series tire which raised the bike up.
It's the Rivco plate & a 3/4" piece of wood. The wood has lasted a couple years + but I might get a piece of aluminum, cut it to shape and drill and tap a couple holes for the bolts.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Free

Gees, all this time I've been smashing a pop can and sticking it under the kickstand when in wet/soft conditions. Didn't know about some of this high-tech stuff out there, and all for $29.95, plus shipping and handling.

I always manage to find something to stick under there when I need it.

Also, one of the insurance companies handed out some square plastic pads with their logo on it at some of the races last year. I stick that in the left glove box just in case the area is litter-free.

I'd be interested in other clever home-brew ideas as well.

Cloud9

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Re: Free

Cloud9 said:
Gees, all this time I've been smashing a pop can and sticking it under the kickstand when in wet/soft conditions. Didn't know about some of this high-tech stuff out there, and all for $29.95, plus shipping and handling.

I always manage to find something to stick under there when I need it.

Also, one of the insurance companies handed out some square plastic pads with their logo on it at some of the races last year. I stick that in the left glove box just in case the area is litter-free.

I'd be interested in other clever home-brew ideas as well.

Cloud9
My kind of guy. And to think how many cans of soda one can buy while on sale from the local supermarket for $29.95 :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
I use an AC electrical box cover, it was cheap, and does a fine job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a kickstand pad made by T Bags, the company that makes soft luggage for cycles.

Here's a link to it, I think it costs $9. Bad part is the shipping is more than the pad. Maybe you can find one at a store that sells T Bags.

http://www.tbags.com/Detail.aspx?ID=22&selectedcat=11

I like this one better than mine, since it is "hard-to-forget-to-pick-up" orange, as opposed to my "blend-in-to-the-ground" black!!! It fits easily in the back pocket of my Utopia backrest, so I can pull it out while sitting on the cycle and drop it on the ground before leaning the kickstand on it. Just have to remember to pick it up before leaving. That's where the bright orange color would come in handy.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Or you could use a freebe like this one I got at the Honda Homecoming. My one friend was collecting them at every place they were handing them out. I think he was planning on putting them under Harley sidestands when he got home..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Duck's foot

Several years ago, I wanted a permanent solution to sinking my kickstand in soft asphalt or earth when I parked. I found the perfect solution in the "Duck's Foot", a thick piece of aluminum that bolted to the end of the kickstand. It was just large enough to clear the exhaust pipe when up.

It worked so well, it was one of the items I removed from my '02 after I totaled it. It still functions well. I haven't seen them advertised lately. Seems to me it was about $20. Seemed expensive at the time, but has proven well worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I have the Rivco piece and it is well worth the $$. It never gets left behind, I never have to search for it, and I never have to worry about forgetting to but it in place when on asphalt on a hot day. the few dollars well off sets the convenience.

Besides, what did you pay for that Butler Drink holder? This is half of that!! :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
The Rivco is the way to go. No, not as cheap as smashed soda cans or other pads you got to manually put down (and retrieve) but it is way more convenient and it works.

If you go that route, did someone mention to use LocTite on the set screw? Too, being a belts and suspenders person, I bought a second set screw to screw in behind the first one. Yeah, overkill, but it's NEVER going to work it's way loose!

·
Registered
370 Posts
electrical box covers,I carry extras in case others need one.I sometimes leave them behind in case I go back to the same place again.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The Rivco unit works well and now you don't leave "trash" :lol: behind. I have used locktite on the set screw plus a couple of runs over Deals Gap has made sure it's not going to far :shock:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
gdaddy said:
Here is Rivco's from Hal for 24.95.
Only problems with this wonderful addition:

1) set screw needs to be tightened from time to time (already covered by other posters).
2) First thing to hit the road when cornering or riding the twisties. Mine is worn to the set screw head ...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I use a sq piece of 1/4 plywood that was given to every bike that was at the Rocky Point Rally in Mexico....carry it in the pouch on the back rest. If I forget it, no great loss and a snap to create another.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I made one. Took some thick rubber stock, cut into 2 - 3 inch squares and used wood screws to fasten two pieces together. Drilled one small and one larger hole in the same spot, one thru each piece, and used a piece of cord with a know thru the block - larger hole serves as a countersink for knot. Other end of cord has a loop that goes over the clutch lever. Bought a Hopnel gas tank pouch for storage.

When parking, I just get the rubber square out of the pouch & place it under the side stand, placing the loop around the clutch lever. Works very well to avoid that sinking side stand into soft ground or warm asphalt.

You can also buy a 4 x 4 blank electrical plate at any hardware store for under $1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts