GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that I have the 70 series rear tire ('stone G851), I'm thinking that I also need a little longer sidestand. It sure looks to be quite a lean on the stock sidestand. Anyone else experience this? Any real problem? If so, what are some possible fixes? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
side stand

I also have the 70 on the back and didn't like the way the bike leaned. I found a older fish side stand that fixed that problem. The newwer fish side stands are the same as the OEM. If you can find a older fish side stand you will be very happy with the results.

Gumby.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the 70 serues stone also, was going to weld another foot to the existing side stand but decided it was to much trouble, so I'm just going to live with it for the time being. When I get time I'll probably cut a peice of 1/4 or 3/8 plate and make another foot.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Rick - I think we all have run into that.

I now carry one of those rubber bigfoots with a string on it - toss it onto the ground and kick it under the sidestand. When leaving, straighten up the bike, reel in the string, put it in the compartment, and leave.

But it sure is nice when the road slopes uphill to the left while parking -

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've been using the Rivco plate for about 2 1/2 years now. It slides on and is secured with a set screw. You might have to check the set screw from time to time as mine has loosened up a couple times. Maybe a little locktite would help. It has worked well.
I also made a modifcation to it when I was using a 70 series tire which raised the bike up.
It's the Rivco plate & a 3/4" piece of wood. The wood has lasted a couple years + but I might get a piece of aluminum, cut it to shape and drill and tap a couple holes for the bolts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Stand

I too have purchased a 70 tire and use the Rivco Plate. I plan to add a 1/2 inch plate to the bottom and attach with a couple screws. No reason why this will not be a good fix.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Re: Stand

Rackets said:
I too have purchased a 70 tire and use the Rivco Plate. I plan to add a 1/2 inch plate to the bottom and attach with a couple screws. No reason why this will not be a good fix.
I made up a 1/2 stainless plate that I shaped and ground smooth to fit to the bottom of the side stand foot. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole thru the stainless plate and then Tig welded the stainless plate to the bottom of the sidestand foot through the 3/8 inch hole. It doesn't take much weld, just a very light weld so you don't discolor the chrome on the top of the foot of the sidestand. I then closed the top of the 3/8 inch hole with Tig weld and then ground it smooth on the bottom of the foot. You want to use stainless plate because it will never rust.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Much'a do 'bout nothing. If the bike is going to blow over, its going to fall right, not left; and its not going to happend A-TALL if you have the standard side stand and a 70 tire. The added lean is a good thing. :lol:

prs

·
Registered
676 Posts
My experience has been that you very well may have reason to eventually go back to a 60 rear. This could happen when away from home and tools. So I would rather have a 70 rear with stock side stand than trying to finish trip with a 60 and extra tall side stand. My solution was to live with stock side stand for three 70 rears and then go back to 60 with no issues.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Is there a problem with it leaning over a little more? Am I missing something?
So far I haven't seen a problem,and it is an advantage when the parking spot slopes the wrong way.

If it ain't broke,don't fix it.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I don't run a 70 but I have Traxxion. Boy, it leans.
Seems to me that it's alot of added weight on a skinny piece of metal.
Add my considerable bulk and the weight of my wife & our "stuff"....
What's the failure weight of one of those things.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
...considerable bulk and the weight of my wife...
Hmmmm. Many a man has met the roll'n pin stringing words together in such order. :p

prs

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jeff in Ferndale WA said:
Is there a problem with it leaning over a little more? Am I missing something?
Jell. My experience with 70 rear has been that quite often you must carefully select your parking spot on sloping ground so bike does not have excess lean. Now if you lengthen side stand to match lean of 60 rear with stock side stand and then go back to 60 rear and then if you happen to be parking in dead flat in the wind you might be better off on center stand. So I just live with stock side stand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts