GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a buddy of mine following me the other day, I ask him if my tire was riding up on the edge when I turned.

He said when I was in a corner the tread stayed down against the road but the sidewall flexed quite a bit.

I'm running a Kumho 195/55/16 RF so I figure the sidewall can take it.
What do you guy's think?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
John, I am running the Kumho RF @ 32 psi and no flex that I am aware of, and I am pretty sensitive to sidewall flex. Sidewall flex also generates additional heat.

All that said, I am a little confused because I think you are running a higher psi than I, and yet you are experiencing flex. Go figure.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just going by what the guy riding with me says, I'm running 32 LBS now.

Next time I'm out with Hi Yo Silver, I going to get him to ride my bike so I can see it for myself.

Tire does get hot during a ride, but it seems to run cooler than a MC tire I ran before.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Very interesting to say the least!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Running the same tire and about the same pressure on mine , John. I'll have my riding bud ( m/t rider ) follow me and get his opinion of flex. I still feel quite comfortable and confident with the tire. I'll admit that I find myself " thinking " about the tire from time to time while riding, but that's not the fault of the tire.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm confident with the tire, I was just tossing this out there.
Not sure what he was seeing, going to get a look at it myself.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Too much thinking ,not enough riding ;)

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
393 Posts
All tires flex, even MC tires. They are made of rubber.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
88° is good, less is better, we've had days when it was close to 100°, and that's too hot for me.
John I will defend you:thumbup: with the humidity well into the 90% range for a few weeks on end . It's freaking sweaty thick ick up here in the nort ya dare hey . :nojoke:At my factory job I change socks 1/2 through along with boots,drinking water 1/2 gallon a few times a day, and my favorite stick to my bike seat on way home when trying to park bike :eek:4:. Now I understand what the wicked witch from the west went through in Wizard of OZ. Think I can get flying monkeys :shrug:;)

·
Banned
1,247 Posts

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Here's a picture of my shop floor after I drove in with the wing with the little Dunnie. I would guess the circle radius to be about 22'. I would say there is a bit of sidewall flex. My RF runs about 30 degrees cooler than the Bridgestone on the front.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Here's a picture of my shop floor after I drove in with the wing with the little Dunnie. I would guess the circle radius to be about 22'. I would say there is a bit of sidewall flex. My RF runs about 30 degrees cooler than the Bridgestone on the front.

All of the videos that I have seen show one side of the tire lifting off the ground in a turn.

What was the tire pressure when you made this turn? How fast were you going?

If 32psi or more the flex must have been huge.

???

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
All of the videos that I have seen show one side of the tire lifting off the ground in a turn.

What was the tire pressure when you made this turn? How fast were you going?

If 32psi or more the flex must have been huge.

???
Look at his sig line and the tire he is running!

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's why I like a CT more tire in contact with the road. MT very little contact. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I am running a dunlup 3000 rf at 34 psi..And I have been told mine rolls up on edge ...no flexing....One of my HD friends is going to try a ct after watching mine...His new street glide will use a 195 60 16..

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Look at his sig line and the tire he is running!

Why do I need to do that? He said that he is running a little Dunnie run flat.:p

What are you implying? Do I need to know what you are thinking too?:shrug:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts