GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
DSI Keeper
9,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just general information to share....

I got a hold of a Bridgestone Ecopia 100 non runflat this week to play with. Before mounting it, I took a set of spring calipers and measured the sidewall thickness of it and compared it to the sidewall of the Pirelli's I run. Measurements aren't exact but it should give you an idea how much meat is in the sidewall. Be interesting to see what other brands measure at.

At the point of the red arrow is where my calipers were taking the measements on both tires. Red=Ecopia, [email protected]

Circumferences:

Ecopia @40 psi 76 3/4"
Euforia @35 psi 76 7/8"

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Wow Murgie thats a big difference, Thanks

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,998 Posts
I'm very interested in this kind of information!

Thank You!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks Murgie! Good info right there!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,857 Posts
So is the ecopia cheaper ?? Or rated better or worse let us no when you get some miles on it

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Excellent! Thanks Murgie. Wish we had that info for a bunch of different tires.

After reading a couple of reviews on here I thought I'd also try the Ecopia EP100 NRF. I paid $97 +$16 shipping. Running it @ 34 psi as some others have done, I found the tire to be quiet and provide a soft ride on a 300 mile slab run. Since I am very sensitive to sidewall flex/movement, I am not sure 34 psi is going to cut it in the twisties, but since I haven't tested it yet, I just don't know.

Murgie's post is quite timely. The first thing I noticed when I picked up the EP100 was how soft its sidewalls were compared to the Kumho RF I normally run.

I hope to know more about the EP100 by days end. Once I get the bike back together from some maintenance I am doing, I plan on taking it out into the twisties.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
This will be the first thing I read when I get back in tonight
Excellent! Thanks Murgie. Wish we had that info for a bunch of different tires.

After reading a couple of reviews on here I thought I'd also try the Ecopia EP100 NRF. I paid $97 +$16 shipping. Running it @ 34 psi as some others have done, I found the tire to be quiet and provide a soft ride on a 300 mile slab run. Since I am very sensitive to sidewall flex/movement, I am not sure 34 psi is going to cut it in the twisties, but since I haven't tested it yet, I just don't know.

Murgie's post is quite timely. The first thing I noticed when I picked up the EP100 was how soft its sidewalls were compared to the Kumho RF I normally run.

I hope to know more about the EP100 by days end. Once I get the bike back together from some maintenance I am doing, I plan on taking it out into the twisties.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Thanks, Murgie,

This info compiled on a bunch of tires would be nice.

It does tend to show why the RF can support the weight of the Wing so much better than the NRFs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That goes a long way to explain the cost differences also. Lots of extra materials. :)

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Great info Murgie. Be nice to also compare to a MT, as close as you could get to the same measurement locations. But, then, you ain't had one around for quite a spell. :joke:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am now at almost 8000 miles on this tire. It starts off a little wiggly when it is new especially if you put too much air in it, but as soon as you get a little break in wear on it it settles in nicely. My front tire only has about a month left on it, I use one up every 11 months like clockwork and usually my rear only lasts 6-9 months. I replaced them both at the same time and my rear still has about 1/3 of the tread left and it is wearing even all the way across. I weigh about 200 lbs and ride by myself 95% of the time and it sees 85 mph 50% of the time, yes it gets pushed hard a lot.
This tire has only got better with time, for me 33 psi front and rear works the best, it has a soft ride, sticks like glue, runs much cooler, and it lasts way longer than anything else. At this pressure there is almost no rear bump steer from uneven pavement either. If you can find some way, or someone, to video this tire during use you will be amazed how much different it looks than the run flat videos on the web.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just general information to share....

I got a hold of a Bridgestone Ecopia 100 non runflat this week to play with. Before mounting it, I took a set of spring calipers and measured the sidewall thickness of it and compared it to the sidewall of the Pirelli's I run. Measurements aren't exact but it should give you an idea how much meat is in the sidewall. Be interesting to see what other brands measure at.

At the point of the red arrow is where my calipers were taking the measements on both tires. Red=Ecopia, [email protected]

Circumferences:

Ecopia @40 psi 76 3/4"
Euforia @35 psi 76 7/8"
Does anyone have a Falken to measure?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Right now I don't have one to compare to. It has been about 5 years since I round on one.
Murgie, I have an old D250 I took off for a friend. I'll see what I can do on getting some measurements on thickness.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts