GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at a ralley i bought the sierra antennas short black one a dummy the other runs the CB and FM well honda replaced my radio cause it was crap the second one was bad also while installing the third they removed the sierra adapter that lets one antenna run both works great so they put second radio back works great the sierra adapter was the problem all the time.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
An antenna designed to work more than one frequency has to sacrifice effeciency for flexibility. That's why CB antennas are tuned to the channel you use most often and hope the others are acceptable.

There is a wide gap between the CB frequencies and the FM band and the AM band.

For my money I'll stick to a separate CB antenna; better effeciency and fewer parts to give problems. :wink:

·
Registered
472 Posts
It may be better to have the separate antennas. I have the single Sierra antenna with splitter and haven't had any problems. I've used the CB on several trips and to talk to other friends and family. I like the fact I didn't have to install a second antenna. Thanks for this post, though. If I have any troubles I'll be sure to check the splitter first!

Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used the single antenna on my 04 and had absolutley not problems.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Single antenna.....

I have a Honda CB antenna and the Sierra splitter as a single antenna. I was not that impressed with the Sierra antenna (with or without the splitter). I have the same SWR readings with or without the splitter and still have a 1.2 range. The Sierra was a pain in the butt and I could not get any better than 1.6. I have not noticed any performance issues with either unit with the shared antenna. I am glad that I am not trying to pass my head and arms through a CB antenna any more as I have nothing on that side of the bike.

The shared use of the antenna would be a problem if the AM/FM tried to transmit. You do not need a perfectly tuned antenna for reception (especially AM/FM/weather band). If it mattered, you would not be able to replace a broken AM/FM antenna with a wire coat hanger.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I've known other people with a bad splitter from them; a friend in FL bought a splitter from a CB shop and put an adapter on coax. Much better.

I eliminated the splitter by using a small hidden powered a.m./f.m. antenna in the left cubby and running the sierra stick directly; works much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts