GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the 1SIE-GL1806-SINGLE2 Sierra single antenna? If it works well I would prefer going that route. I haven't bought my CB yet so I also don't have the OEM CB antenna. I hate the idea of buying the OEM to turnaround and replace it with the dual system from Sierra. That would be close to $300 worth of antennas when I could do it for $100 with the single antenna.

Here's the link:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... E2&cat=106

If this post looks familiar it is because I also posted it on the Rider's Rally site within a CB antenna topic.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've used the single setup...easy to install, was already tuned, and it worked fine for me.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yes, I have one on my '02. Absolutely no problems, and an easy install. I didn't want to drill holes for the extra CB antenna...plus if I sell the bike I can reinstall the old radio antenna, take my Sierra and walk away. :wink:

I

·
0 Posts
As stated in the link to the post above by blendo, any antenna that is so broadband as to receive AM/FM broadcast as well as receive and transmit on the 11 meter band is a major compromise. Not my opinion, just a simple fact of radio signal propagation and antenna tuning. The applicable laws of electromagnetic wave physics are not up for debate, at least the last I knew.

It will work, but not near as well as separate antennas for CB and broadcast band.

You could also hook all of your radios to a bent coat hanger, and they will work, but the results will be disappointing, if you get my drift. :lol:

Nothing against Sierra here. Their antenna is high quality and they are good folks. But their multiband antenna is a compromise. Just so you are aware of that and can decide accordingly.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The one you denote is the 2' long one. It appears that there is better performance with the 3' long one. If you can drive into, or out of, your garage without hooking, with the 3', then definitely go that way.

Myself, I have yet to feel limited by the antenna. My son just snapped mine off, I can now tell the difference :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I didn't want two antennae so I bought the Sierra. I seriously doubt you will notice any difference in it and the dual. Honda radios ain't that great anyway. I ride with guys that have duals and no one can tell the difference. I have the 3 footer. Simple install and no holes to drill.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've been running the 3 footer since 2002 with no problems. I haven't noticed any loss of signal in any band but I don't spend a lot of time using AM. I get great range out of my CB as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've had the Sierra 3' combo antenna for more than three years. CB and FM is just fine. WX is, I think, a bit degraded over stock and AM is much poorer. I don't use those bands too much so the compromise works fine for me.

Arthur

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have the three foot sierra on both of my wings so far

i like the fact you dont get the cb antenna in your face when you get into the trunk

its about the same price as the honda cb antenna, very simple to install,

it just screws into the am-fm mount, and the splitter plugs in

be warned that starting in 06 you will need an extension to hook up the sierra

since honda changed the plug placement from 05

i learned this when i swapped it from my 02 to the 06

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm using the Sierra single Antenna as well with no problems.

As said previously an antenna is a compromise. The dual setup will be less good on the CB transmit/receive while the single antenna will decrease radio performance - simple law of physics.

Since we're listening to the MP3 player on the Wing 99.99% of the time the radio performance didn't matter to us at all. If your requirements are for optimum radio and the CB is just for intermediate use the dual setup is probably better. But I doubt most people will notice any difference.

The simple installation was the important factor for me. I didn't want to drill additional holes into the trunk. The single setup was the way to go.

Reiner

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When I tested this antenna with splitter for Wing World, I thought the performance was okay, but not great. In fact, the measured field strength of the CB was stronger (though highly directional) with the OEM CB antenna, and I lost FM reception in fringe areas. So what I ended up doing was installing the Sierra antenna as a dedicated CB antenna with no splitter and hiding a small amplified am/fm antenna in the trunk. Metra amplified am/fm antenna This gives you really good performance from both radios, and no drilling holes in the left side of the trunk...unless you just like the look of twin antennas. The only problem I have with the Sierra antenna for the Wing is that it's now pre-tuned for lowest SWR on Channel 1. I'd rather be able to tune the SWR myself, so I'd buy Sierra's untuned antenna. Combine that with Sierra's fold-over, and you have a great setup for around $60. Even less expensive, use the antenna with Sierra's QD fitting - total around $30.

Stu

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Stu_O said:
When I tested this antenna with splitter for Wing World, I thought the performance was okay, but not great. In fact, the measured field strength of the CB was stronger (though highly directional) with the OEM CB antenna, and I lost FM reception in fringe areas. So what I ended up doing was installing the Sierra antenna as a dedicated CB antenna with no splitter and hiding a small amplified am/fm antenna in the trunk. Metra amplified am/fm antenna This gives you really good performance from both radios, and no drilling holes in the left side of the trunk...unless you just like the look of twin antennas. The only problem I have with the Sierra antenna for the Wing is that it's now pre-tuned for lowest SWR on Channel 1. I'd rather be able to tune the SWR myself, so I'd buy Sierra's untuned antenna. Combine that with Sierra's fold-over, and you have a great setup for around $60. Even less expensive, use the antenna with Sierra's QD fitting - total around $30.

Stu
You mounted that antenna in the trunk and get improved AM and FM reception?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Great White Wing said:
You mounted that antenna in the trunk and get improved AM and FM reception?
Absolutely. It's an electrically amplified antenna, designed to be installed inside a vehicle. The trunk plastic has no effect on it that I could tell.

Stu

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and get this antenna and the CB from Hal (while the sale was still on). I like the idea of not having to drill holes and mount another antenna. We'll see how it works out.

Bartman

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sierra Electronics CB Antenna

STU, If channel 1 has the lowest SWR strength then which channel has the strongest signal strength(with the sierra antenna)? They told me over the phone that their antenna will double the range of the CB. Sorry to say but that has not happened for me. When my group rides we use channel 1. Maybe we need to change channels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I tried a single antenna setup with a combiner, and pretty much lost the weather band. AM was reduced some too. FM was fair. Couldn't get SWR below 1.5 on any CB channels so went to a dual antenna setup. Everything worked fine then.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I got the Honda CB antenna. The bike comes with the radio antenna ,so saying $300 for the pair is not quite fair. I think I paid $100 for the CB antenna. The Sierra looks better to me, I have heard the single does not work as well as the double. But I have not tried the single.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts