GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my thoughts on this kit. I bought this in advance of getting the new GL2Way Evolution CB in June (yes, I pre-ordered on day 1).

One part not shown here is a converter cable that converts the newer skinny male end to the older fat male end that is about 6 or 7 inches long. And oh yes, you don't need this cable on the 2012.

Ordering and shipping -
Completely painless. I ordered directly from Sierra late Saturday night (4/19). The kit shipped Monday and was in my hands Wednesday. That is as painless as it gets.

Quality -
The quality of the entire kit is outstanding. All the custom cables and splitter, fold over, mount, hex wench, and bolts were in a sealed thick clear plastic bag. The antenna was separately wrapped again in thick clear plastic. I can't say enough about the excellent quality. Great attention to detail.

Instructions -
Not so much. Even though the kit is for the 2012 and newer GL1800 the instructions were from the old kit. Including a direction to use the extension cable which is not needed on the 2012. This left me confused for a while but a call to Sierra (who called back about an hour later - not complaining - they were busy with another customer) confirmed what I had figured out in that hour. (more on this later - see installation) But guys, come on, the instructions need to be revamped and pictures added.

Installation -
First I need to get the old one off. In the service manual (you have one, right?), page 23-19, shows where under the seat the antenna connection is. That page also shows what needs to be taken apart. The only thing not shown here are the a removable zip tie on the frame and the one wire hold down under the side pocket. It takes a bit of pulling and wiggling to get the antenna cable out from under the other cables, but it will come out.

Putting the antenna mount on was a snap and easy to tighten down. Make sure the mount is properly seated in the rubber insulator. Look at page 23-5 in the service manual and note the old antenna connection at the audio unit. There is another removable zip tie holding the USB connector cable on the lid to the radio cavity, I took this off as well. Those are the only connections you need to remove for this installation (remember I am still waiting on the CB from BikeMP3). Also note, the radio connection is NOT reused. Sierra provided a new cable for this connection (the one with the grey end in the picture above).

I ran the antenna cable along the back of the trunk (I tried to take pictures, but black on black and you just can't see the cable) and down a square notch to the radio compartment. There I plugged in the cables to the splitter which is clearly marked. Then put it all in the radio compartment. While everything fits, its not pretty. Maybe when I get the CB there will be room under the audio unit for the splitter.

Putting the fold over on was easy and easy to adjust the angle when folded. The antenna went on easily and I tightened snug - don't wrench on it too hard.

Close everything back up and test :lol:

Radio Test -
AM/FM/WB worked perfectly. But hey I live in Colorado and most of the radio transmitters are about 1000ft above the ground on the mountainside, we get great coverage. Others have noted a loss of AM and degradation of FM - I have no loss or degradation at all. And I really don't care as I am a fan of Sirius FM.

When I get the CB in June (crossing fingers), I will add a post on how that part works.

If not for the poor instructions this would be a perfect kit for using a single antenna. But still, this is a great kit. :thumbup:
...gene

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Awesome write up Gene!

Any pics of the bike with the new antenna installed? What size antenna did you get? 16, 24, or 36?

Looking for an update on CB performance with this antenna if you get a chance. Also... I'm looking at this exact same setup for my 2014 (Evolution + Sierra Solo antenna), so your thoughts on the Evolution would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it

I got the 36" antenna.
While the GL2Way EVO radio had some teething pains, I am happy with it. I was able to get 3 miles range in the mountains of Colorado - that is good for any radio IMNSHO.

And BikeMP3 has been very good to deal with.

The installation is a bolt-on. No cutting. Everything fits under the radio cover on the 12, but very tightly. If I was to ask anything it would be for a thinner splitter and shorter splitter cables to make it easier to get it all under the cover. But, that is a minor request.

All in all I am very happy. The quality of the antenna and other mounting stuff is top notch. And my avatar show it mounted. If I get a chance (12 degrees and snowing today :lol:) I will add pics to this post.

...gene

Reactions: TerryBoyle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sierra antenna with splitter

Question GeneDjr: Where do you plug in the little grey end piece that comes with the kit? I am stuck at this stage.

Yay... Found where it goes. Gee the instructions need a real clean up..

Thanks
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts