GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
I almost went with this option, but decided to go with the OEM dual setup. I'll be interested in seeing the responses though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am using the Sierra antenna you questioned, using it on a 2008 Wing, since I bought the bike new. I didn't want to go with the two antenna look.
Because the antenna is a "combination antenna", there are compromises. I only use the antenna for cb use. I never use it for AM/FM. Others have stated
that the antenna does not work well with AM radio. It works fine for the weather radio.
Everyone that I ride with tells me that my cb transmissions are very clear, the best in our large riding group. I am using an Edset headset.
With a dual antenna setup, the AM/FM antenna interferes with the wave pattern of the cb signal when transmitting.
My 2 cents.
Straight Arrow

·
Registered
104 Posts
I run the sierra solo as well. FM works pretty good. I don't listen to AM and the CB works 7 to 10 miles depending on other radio traffic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I installed the solo antenna on my 2014.

I have the dual antenna system on my 2006 that I've been riding for the past 5 years... so I do have something to compare it too.

I get compliments from my fellow riders on how strong and clear the signal is. I also love the looks of a single antenna better than the dual whip look.

I have yet to find an issue with the antenna. I do run FM from time to time and haven't had any issue, but I mostly use streaming music or XM.

I'm also running the BikeMP3 Evolution vs the stock CB.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I am using the Sierra antenna you questioned, using it on a 2008 Wing, since I bought the bike new. I didn't want to go with the two antenna look.
Because the antenna is a "combination antenna", there are compromises. I only use the antenna for cb use. I never use it for AM/FM. Others have stated
that the antenna does not work well with AM radio. It works fine for the weather radio.
Everyone that I ride with tells me that my cb transmissions are very clear, the best in our large riding group. I am using an Edset headset.
With a dual antenna setup, the AM/FM antenna interferes with the wave pattern of the cb signal when transmitting.
My 2 cents.
Straight Arrow
Well said.

Relative to the OEM dual antenna, you will get better CB transmission but the splitter hurts your AM reception a bit. I looked into the science of it all a while back when I was making the choice and there are some basic laws of electromagnetic mumbo jumbo in play there. My and other's experience is the law and as predicted. QED.

If you care about CB performance, get the longest antenna you can manage. Performance goes up exponentially with length. A good install includes tuning your SWR and making sure you have good grounds.

I never got the "I want two antennas for the look" thing because the symmetry is goofy anyway with that CB whip and its funny little bulge. What drove me to the 2' Sierra solo was my low garage door and I was tired of folding the stock AM/FM antenna every time I came home. I learned about the rest of the stuff as I poked around. With the short antenna is was extra important to me to not have a second antenna degrading the wave propagation further. Also, I certainly wasn't going to fold two antennas.I do fine with the little antenna stump, about the same as typical OEM dual ant setup. However, I would go for 3' or 4' if I wasn't using a hobbit garage.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Have had it on my 08 since new and on my 2012 since new. Works like a charm, no holes to drill, simply remove your OEM radio antenna and slip theirs on. Done! The only small downfall is that FM doesn't come in as well as it maybe could
Would I put it on another bike....absolutely! :grin2:!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply everyone. Looks like it is a good product and worth the price.

·
Registered
498 Posts
CB/AM/FM antenna combiners work well as long as you don't "cheap" out on the combiner, you get what you pay for. A good quality combiners normally has an adjusting (trimmer) capacitor that will allow you to tune the combiner for best reception on AM/FM, some will have a trimmer cap for CB. To understand the operations of these units will let you know what the potential problems you could encounter using these. These units incorporate L/C (coils and capacitors) circuits to "trap" unwanted signals and pass desired signals and any change in this L/C circuit can have disastrous effects on the AM/FM component in the system. Your AM/FM radios receiver is designed to receive microvolts of signal and amplify these through the receivers front end, your CB's out put is 4 watts, 1000's of times more signal out than you receivers sensitivity, any leakage in the L/C circuit will cause swamping of your AM/FM receiver and can damage the receivers front end.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I use the Firestick Firefly single antenna with a splitter. It has worked great since installing it in 2010. I got the antenna from Pete at BikeMP3, but I think it's the same antenna that Sierra sells.

·
Vendor
445 Posts
The addition of a splitter with an adjustable capacitor degrades the CB signal. That is the reason that I run the CB signal straight thru the splitter and cap couple the AM/FM.
In the ham world a tunable splitter is known as an antenna tuner which protects the transmitter and will show a good SWR at the transmitter and could have a true SWR of 5 to 1 or higher if checked on the output side of the tuner.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I ran the Sierra antenna on my '05 with no problems and I've had it on my '13 since new with no problems. One less thing to get in the way of garage doors etc. Jack

·
Registered
498 Posts
The addition of a splitter with an adjustable capacitor degrades the CB signal. That is the reason that I run the CB signal straight thru the splitter and cap couple the AM/FM.
In the ham world a tunable splitter is known as an antenna tuner which protects the transmitter and will show a good SWR at the transmitter and could have a true SWR of 5 to 1 or higher if checked on the output side of the tuner.
Wayne, an adjustable capacitor when used with a L/C network creates a "notch" at the desired frequency. When using this type of circuit in a splitter the L/C network is on the AM/FM leg of the circuit, the addition of the adjustable capacitor is to "notch" out the undesired CB frequencies.

Reactions: Len

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Have had it on my 08 since new and on my 2012 since new. Works like a charm, no holes to drill, simply remove your OEM radio antenna and slip theirs on. Done! The only small downfall is that FM doesn't come in as well as it maybe could
Would I put it on another bike....absolutely! :grin2:!
Hey Hal,what length size did you put on?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Will the one the OP listed work on 08 wing? Need to add CB, and will need to get antenna, so if I can use 1 vs. 2, would rather replace the current am/fm with this one.

Thanx 1oldsoldier

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I believe your '08 uses a standard RCA plug to connect the antenna to the CB, where Mother changed it for 2012. Call Wayne, he'll make sure you get the right one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts