GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a new GPS (Zumo 396 LMT-S). In the process, I want audio to go through my bike. I want to keep my cord from my helmet and NOT go wireless basically.

If I was to buy Sierra's Honda Goldwing GPS Input Interface to connect from the GPS to the interface then to the bike, best I can tell, I would lose all audio going to the bike speakers...meaning I would always have to wear my helmet to hear my GPS routing me, listen to music, etc that is offered through the GPS. Am guessing my CB would not be affected.

Am I reading right???? Is this interface what I really need?

Will the 396 even accept the interface??

Anyone with a 396 have any experience????

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The Zumo 396 does not appear to have an audio out jack so the interface wont work. Garmin seems to have stopped putting audio out jacks on their GPS's. Most of the GPS audio is now bluetooth. My Nuvi 765T has the audio in and out jacks but it is pretty old. This interface was designed with the older units in mind.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Zumo 396 does not appear to have an audio out jack so the interface wont work. Garmin seems to have stopped putting audio out jacks on their GPS's. Most of the GPS audio is now bluetooth. My Nuvi 765T has the audio in and out jacks but it is pretty old. This interface was designed with the older units in mind.
That was what I was afraid of. Guess I will have to pay $200 more for the 595LM for the output jack and .7 more sq inches of screen space...otherwise it appears the 396 and 595 are the same feature wise....

I will call Doug at Sierra to confirm and just order from him. Appears that all the dealers are offering both at same price anyways.

Reactions: pwhoever

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time but a phone call to them would be best. They may also be able to provide other options to you as well...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Another option would be to add the J&M bluetooth module that would link with the Zumo 396 and allow the directions to be outputted to the dash speakers.

https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JMDM-GL18E
I have an older version that also allowed me to link up my smartphone so I could make and receive phone calls as well. I also usually listen to mp3 tunes and have them loaded on my smartphone. If you like mp3 tunes, they could be loaded onto the Zumo to listen via the J&M module. You just wouldn't have the ability to make or receive calls. Buying this J&M module and the Zumo 396 would still be cheaper than buying the Zumo 595 and the GPS audio input interface. And you would still have the ability to hear the audio either through dash speakers or your wired helmet speakers.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

I just called Doug at Sierra and he walked me thru what I needed to stay hard wired. The 595LM will be here in a few days. LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts