GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Add-on and Kuryakyn 3240 L.E.D. Passenger Armrest Trim
with Turn Signal Accents and I'm not seeing to many reviews on these. If you have them, how long have you had them, how are they holding up and would you buy them again?

Dan

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I think more would have sold if they made them in matte black. I don't want to add chrome to a bike that has very little to begin with.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have the gloss black ones from Add-On.

I also have the F6B brake light harness and the EC upgraded spoiler light with tail/brake/turn functions. Stock trunk light bulbs with four brake filaments and two tail light filaments. The Add-On, center light (F6B) and spoiler brake lights are connected to the stock brake light connection in the trunk lid using a Signal Dynamics Back Off brake light flasher set for several flashes then solid. Obviously the directional wires need to under the seat or below the trunk to pick up the stock harness. Lastly, I have the Muth sequential mirrors; these are sold as red but I think they are closer to orange. Collectively on a 2012-2017 will provide a good triangular shape.

I loved the concept. Sequential movement, mounted out at the widest point and wrap around to the side. Really neat idea. I can even see them in the corner of my rear view mirrors. I was somewhat disappointed with the opaque light lens. I have the SoCal sequential front directionals and love them. I think the Add-On lights would have looked much better both in appearance and light visibility using an array similar to the SoCal front directional or the EC spoiler light. Okay but could be better.

I was very disappointed in the attachment method. Comes with double side tape already applied. First trouble is the compound three dimensional shape of the speaker housing and the light. Too much to expect these molded plastic parts to maintain tolerance and be a perfect match. The new lights are somewhat elastic/flexible and can be pushed in place but clamping them is a challenge and with tension on that tape, it eventually failed. I tried several brands of tape, even professional bodywork/emblem tape from Norton. Might last a couple days or a couple weeks but all eventually failed. I finally went to the tube of professional body shop glue. I didn't want to as this stuff will really attack the plastic and if I had to take everything off, would have left damage to the speaker housing. Well that has now been on there for a year (end of last season, winter nap, all this summer) so I think it's on to stay. Subsequently I was made aware of and have since purchased some 3M Very High Bond double side tape. Not needed it yet but was highly recommended. Had I been the design engineer I would have molded a complete new speaker housing. A couple pennies worth of ABS and perfect installation. Biggest challenge is holding it in place for glue/tape to set. Plan ahead.

After all those words, am I pleased with the result? Yes. Show up well and look good on my bike (black on black). I am not as pleased as I am with the front directional which are about the same money. Dollar for dollar, I might think about using the SoCal sequential light in the spoiler and skipping the rest. But that doesn't wrap around or is as wide so maybe not. I think you have the newer style but on a 2001-2010 I would stay with the spoiler only to keep the triangular brake light pattern.

Reactions: Barrycuda67

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if it's possible to prime the chrome and paint them matte black. I like chrome just like the next guy but on my bike I think the Kuryakyn in black would look nice. I would have a problem painting them if I thought it would hold up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to prime the chrome and paint them matte black. I like chrome just like the next guy but on my bike I think the Kuryakyn in black would look nice. I would have a problem painting them if I thought it would hold up.
I saw the Kuryakyn on a used bike before I purchased my bike. It is plastic, not real chromed metal, so I think you could apply some paint or maybe that vinyl stuff.

Also, the Kuryakyn has only red LEDs (no amber) and are smaller than the Add-On. Can't remember how bright they were.

Another alternative is Hyperlite. They make a version that is contoured to fit the Goldwing speaker housings. Even though they are small and fairly unobtrusive, I'm personally not fond of the unfinished look, especially in such a prominent location on the wing. But I have used them in other applications and can attest to their quality and brightness. I have used their turn signals, their brake lights and currently have the three way combo on my cargo trailer.

https://hyperlites.com/
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_hyper_lite_kit/73/149689

1 - 5 of 5 Posts