GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have these, and does yours always flash, fast then slow, then starts all over again...even when stopped? Can it be wire another way? Like to just run through the sequence one time?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one. It flashes several times when you apply your brake. Starts flashing fast then slows the flash interval until within a couple of seconds it's full on. It only repeats when you release and re-apply the brake.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ossaman, are you sure about that? I have one and it repeats the cycle as long as the brake is applied. I just went to the garage to check it. I like it like that. When I'm trying to turn left and waiting for a break in oncoming traffic, I want the cars approaching from behind to see me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The "back-off" only works in one way. I think it is the safest brake light modulator on the market. When you apply either your front or rear or both brakes a sequence of -3- short flashes and -1- long flash repeats continually until you release the brakes. If you re-apply the brakes the sequence starts again until you release again. I like this system very much because it gets the attention of the driver/rider behind you significantly better than a continuously "on" brake light. In other words, the "BACK-OFF" saves lives.

Come to my shop in Tucson, Arizona and I will install one of these life saving units on your bike for free. Every bike that has come to my home shop gets one.

I don't understand why someone would want to defeat the purpose of the unit by wanting to disable the continuous "repeat" feature.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ossaman, I bet you have the one I have. It's from Kissan Technologiies and I prefer it. Get's there attention and doesn't drive them nutz.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
wrenched said:
I don't understand why someone would want to defeat the purpose of the unit by wanting to disable the continuous "repeat" feature.
I can think of one reason. The law. Oklahoma law requires the brake light to stay on steady. The back off unit never stays on steady. The flashing part is fine but not the repeat function.

·
Registered
188 Posts
when i put my hyper brake lites on i thought the same thing about the law..espically when i got pulled over and questioned about it. i came home and did some research about it and found out it is legal to have them blinking like they do. cant remember were i found it but it ended up being from the federal D.O.T. i think as a ruling about the lights. i know other must know what i am talking about. i sent the piece of paper with my old bike when i sold it though. going to start looking for info on it again though

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
we have the "backoff" also, to be honest with you, on this particular matter, I'll take the ticket~~~~~

any cop with a half an ounce of brains would never issue a ticket solely for a "flashing tail light". ( well maybe they would but I don't care, I'm not taking off or disabling it )

not to be a smart a$$, but isn't there a distinction between "flashing" and "modulating"

Flashing means the light comes ON and turns OFF completely and then comes back ON

modulating means the light come ON and then "dims" but does not turn off completely and the comes back ON

therefore ACCORDING TO THE LAW, the "BACKOFF" is not 'illegal' because it does not turn off completely~~~~~

just asking ( and guessing )

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a modulator I liked. The brakes light danced back and forth from right to left several time then stayed on until the brake was released and reapplied. Anyone know what brand that would have been?

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is an interesting thread, so I'll add in my 2 cents. FL statutes state: "Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to inidicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway...." (that last phrase covers hazzard lights). This is done, in part, to avoid any confusion with an emergency vehicle. I do believe that most law enforcement persons are partial to the idea of safety - that's the main reason we enforce traffic laws to begin with. I wouldn't try to argue flashing versus modulating - if it varies in intensity, it flashes! But, be aware of the phenomenon of flashing lights attracting drunks/mesmerized drivers. It happens more than you would believe, cars hitting stationary emergency vehicles with the light bars activated. This is usually attributed to the higher intensity strobes, but happens with various flashing lights. We bikers know, you go where you look. Flashy lights make people look - and so there they go!

So, as I sit and think about what type of device I will buy, I think I like the non-repeating one. I like the idea of grabbing their attention as I start to brake. I also like that if I see someone approaching my stopped bike, I can reapply the brake and get the attention of that approaching driver. And, all of this without sitting there flashing unnecessarily, possibly attracting a drunk or a bored trooper!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
jmac00 said:
we have the "backoff" also, to be honest with you, on this particular matter, I'll take the ticket~~~~~

any cop with a half an ounce of brains would never issue a ticket solely for a "flashing tail light". ( well maybe they would but I don't care, I'm not taking off or disabling it )

not to be a smart a$$, but isn't there a distinction between "flashing" and "modulating"

Flashing means the light comes ON and turns OFF completely and then comes back ON

modulating means the light come ON and then "dims" but does not turn off completely and the comes back ON

therefore ACCORDING TO THE LAW, the "BACKOFF" is not 'illegal' because it does not turn off completely~~~~~

just asking ( and guessing )
Its not the part that it does not turn off completely. Its the fact that it will not stay on, non-flashing, that is not legal. All the other brands stop flashing after a period of time and stay on steady until the brakes are released, then applied again.

G

·
0 Posts
I like the Kissan type of brake light, where the lights flash, at first fast, then slower, and after a few flashes, they stay on steady. I'd add the light that makes the spoiler flash, but for two things:

1. It turns the spoiler into a running light, when the brake is not on. I like my tailights off, in the daytime, unless I'm braking. I think going from no light to brake light is more noticeable than going from low intensity to higher intensity.

2. I live in Maryland where flashing lights on a non-emergency vehicle are illegal.

As I read it, Federal law pre-empts the States from prohibiting headlight modulators, but does not stop them from prohibiting flashing brake lights.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
wrenched said:
Come to my shop in Tucson, Arizona and I will install one of these life saving units on your bike for free. Every bike that has come to my home shop gets one.

:shock: hey wrenched....that means I need to come and see you :D , guess I'll be crusi'n down Tuscon way soon :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dave.

I beleive the one you are looking for is the Kriss Firefly-Galaxy 21 Trunk Flasher. Seems to get the attention of the people who are at least looking my way. I personally do care for the one that blink all the time. This unit has worked well for the last 29,000 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
About 10 tears ago I was just north of Phoenix on I-17 and was stopped by a State Patrol Officer and given a tixket for having a brake kight modulator. I tried to explain that Arizona law allowed for such a device. He said he had never heard of it and gave me a ticket. I went to court with information about which section of Arizona law covered this device. The judge told me he didn't have the time to go look up the reference I had and made me pay $50. Never took off the modulator, and I have had one on every bike I've owned since with no more problems. I do however cary a copy of the federal statute with me in the glove box.

·
Registered
578 Posts
elkk...coming to Tucson

elkk...I'm not sure if you got my e-mail. I work in my shop on Saturdays usually. Sunday is ok also. Let me know when you want to come down. I have the back-offs in stock. NO CHARGE. Contact me @ [email protected]

Ed

·
Registered
578 Posts
correction

I meant GARY G. You can come to ELKK.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Re: correction

wrenched said:
I meant GARY G. You can come to ELKK.
You have e-mail Ed :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
ELKK, in case you didn't get the e-mail, here is the info that you requested.

1. Remove the seat
2. Locate the rubber protective boot under the passenger seat
3. Slide back the rubber boot exposing a gray 14 pin electrical connector
4. Unplug the 14 pin connector...there is a release pin to unlock it
5. Locate the green/red striped wire on the boot side of the connector
6. Cut the wire making sure to leave enough on each end to make your splices
7. Splice in the BACK-OFF...white/red to the connector side...solid red to the boot side
8. Plug the connector back together
9. Slide the protective boot back over the connector and your splices
10. Attach the BACK-OFF unit to the fender under the seat with the included two faced tape....You're done.

Caution--BE CAREFUL NOT TO CROSS THREAD THE SEAT ATTACHMENT BOLTS

·
Registered
399 Posts
Kissan...flashes fast and then gradually slows to a solid brake light.If you want to keep their attention release the brake and reapply.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts