GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
"ELKK, in case you didn't get the e-mail, here is the info that you requested.

1. Remove the seat
2. Locate the rubber protective boot under the passenger seat
3. Slide back the rubber boot exposing a gray 14 pin electrical connector
4. Unplug the 14 pin connector...there is a release pin to unlock it
5. Locate the green/red striped wire on the boot side of the connector
6. Cut the wire making sure to leave enough on each end to make your splices
7. Splice in the BACK-OFF...white/red to the connector side...solid red to the boot side
8. Plug the connector back together
9. Slide the protective boot back over the connector and your splices
10. Attach the BACK-OFF unit to the fender under the seat with the included two faced tape....You're done. "

Wrenched,

Are these instructions valid for the 01 gl1800 as well. Specifically the indicated wire to cut.

Thanks,

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was wrong - I have a Kisan

I was wrong - I have the Kisan which does behave as I said. The Back-off does repeat the cycle; it says so right on their web site. Sorry 'bout that...

Rob

·
Registered
578 Posts
wingman,

I know the wire color is the same in the 01 & 02. This weekend I am installing a "BACK-OFF" on an 03 and I'll be sure about that year afterwards. I originally found the proper wire by looking @ the electrical schematics in my service manual. I suggest that you do the same before cutting any wires.

I can not state if the instructions will work for other brands than the "BACK-OFF" unit manufactured by Signal Dynamics. Some other types have more complicated wiring. Please check the manufacturer's instructions before installing another brand of unit.

Ed

·
Registered
578 Posts
wingman,

A little early in the A.M. I just re-read your question. The answer is yes. My 1800 is an 01. On the 01 the proper brake light wire is the green/red as per my instructions. If you install it as instructed the unit will flash all -3- brake lights. If you pick up the wire past the trunk it is likely that you will only flash the tailight/brakelight.

Ed

P.S. I suspect that all 1800's have the same color wire for the brake light. I am not aware of any differences in the harness 01 to 04.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wrenched,
I used your directions to install the Back-Off on my 03 without a spoiler and it worked great! Info was right-on. Thanks

Richard

21 - 26 of 26 Posts