GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed this modulator on my 07 wing under the seat by the relays. After hooking all wires all I had was one left side light bulb working and not modulating either. The horn wire didn't work either. One tech told me I need a two headlight system and another says I can't wire it off the relays only by the bulbs and that it needs a jumper wire but didn't say why or where. Anybody have any info on these? Are they any different then the Kriss posted here in the step by step?

W

·
0 Posts
If you're modulating the low beams, no jumper wire is necessary - just connect at the relay and it should modulate both bulbs.

Onn the other hand, the left and right high beams are actually on separate circuits so connecting them solely at the relay under the seat will make only the right light modulate. You need to run a jumper wire between the two high beams to get the left light to modulate.

In this case, I suspect you need to double check your connections at the relay. The left headlight is still working because it wasn't included in the wiring you've done since you haven't installed the jumper wire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the modulator installed yesterday. I think Signal Dynamics should make it known in the instructions that you need the jumper wire on the Goldwings and that the high beams don't actually modulate only the low do.

W

·
0 Posts
The high beams should modulate with the SD modulator on a Gold Wing. By default, the system modulates the beam that is on when the bike is started. Have you tried switching to high beam before starting the bike?

D

·
0 Posts
I've installed a few of these now and it should really depend on which Relay you installed on. High Beam relay should modulate the Right High Beam bulb and the left bulb if you added the jumper from the left bulb to the right. I use a KRISS unit and have had no problems at all having them work as instructed. I only install mine on the High Beam as I don't want it on all the time while riding. If I need it or want it on I just flip on the High Beam switch.

Geof

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, tried starting it on high side and also tried the horn button. When I hit the horn button it totally shuts off the modulation until you restart the bike. I have two days into this project that shouldn't have been more then a half. I guess as long as I have low side I have something.

D

·
0 Posts
This sums up the reason I use the KRISS units. All have worked perfectly.

Geof

Yep, tried starting it on high side and also tried the horn button. When I hit the horn button it totally shuts off the modulation until you restart the bike. I have two days into this project that shouldn't have been more then a half. I guess as long as I have low side I have something.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
For a two headlight system for the signal dynamics modulator , they do sell a fitment kit, with extra connectors and wire.

Installed properly it is the very best modulator on the market. It works very well.

Both low and high beams modulate, and you can switch from one to the other simply by use of the light control on the bike, also you can turn the modulator off with the light control on the bike, you just switch to the other beam and then back quickly and it turns off the modulation feature.

Wired in with the horn the lights have a unique feature so they flash the light beams at the same time as the horn is used. Just another way to be seen.

I like mine, works great.

Kit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said... they should state that the Goldwing needs a little extra instruction. I hooked mine all according to the instructions and it sure don't work like they say it does. Bike is back together now and I'll live with it I guess until I feel ambitious enough to tear it down again and put in another brand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts