GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a strange one! Started my 2005 Wing this morning and both of the turn signal lights on the gauge panel were on. No flashing... just on. I touched the signal switch as to cancel the turn flasher and they both went out, all is well. Later and after stopping, I left the bike running to unlock a door. Upon return the signal lights on the gauge panel were both on again. As I squeezed the clutch lever, they went out.
Strange one indeed. Anyone else had something like this happen?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Both lamps.....

...Not only both lamps, the turn signals would not work. I took it to the stealer and they found the wiring harness was corroded. Thank GOD that the warranty was still in effect!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gt11.
I was thinking this was the problem. As it turns out I will be removing the top shelter for air filter service again, tomorrow. This will be good time to check all the wire harnus couplers for clean up and apply some dielectric grease. "Would be nice to know what coupler is the problem one". Have already checked the ground that is easily reached on the Rt. side. Hope I don't have to remove the fuel tank to get to the other.
Thanks in advance for any other advice from the board.:thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
I would suspect the left hand control. Either a bad connection in there or a harness shorting out in the handlebar. There has been issues with the rear light's ground circuit in the large connector at the rear under the seat. The solid green wire is the ground for the whole rear end. It has been known to open up in the connector. Goodluck.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techdude,
I found it!!! Just was about to post what I found and saw your reply and you nailed it right on!:thumbup:
I had pulled the seat during a break at work. Was fiddeling around with any couplers I could see in the few minutes I had. It was exactally the large connector - coupler to the rear of the seat area. I pulled it apart and cleaned the pins. They looked fine but I cleaned them anyway, then put a light film of dielectric drease on them. Problem sloved.
How many times is an electrical issue just a 5 minute job??? Not too often!
Thanks for your responces guy's.:coffee1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts