GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter and her family recently moved to Signal Mountain, Tn located near Chattanooga. My wife and I spent New Year's with them. There is one road going up Signal Mountain known as the "W" road. It has four hairpin turns which are a real challenge. We were in the cage, but I would never attempt this road on a bike. I've riden Deal's Gap with no problem, but the "W" road has steep grades and oncoming traffic cannot be seen coming up. If you entered one of these sharp turns while meeting another vehicle it would all be over. Just wondered if anyone else on the board had ever traveled this road on a bike.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have not rode bike on the W yet. But a long time ago They said a person stopped to ask directions one day. The person sent them up the W not knowing they were driving a tractor trailer. The story shows up in the paper every now and then. Watch out for Signal Mtn Police. In town it is a speed trap. Richard

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Have not heard of it but want to ride it. More info on location and/or road name, please. Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
My SO and I have ridden it on the wing. It's not a road that you try to ride like Deals Gap. We really enjoyed the ride at a slow pace. It sure is a beautiful area.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I rode up this ride purely by chance about 6 years ago. It was one of the best rides I've done. I was pulling a trailer and remember thinking it would be great without it.

Does this move mean we won't be seeing you at the Florida lunch runs anymore?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
trialsman said:
Have not heard of it but want to ride it. More info on location and/or road name, please. Thanks
Yep.....we gotta find that one! 8) Thinking about Tellico Saturday for lunch and then maybe west to the "W" road. Whattaya think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The "W"

I avoid this road in or on any vehicle. You do know about "Signal Mtn. Road" don't you? Even it has two hairpin turns, but not nearly as sharp as the "W"

·
Registered
152 Posts
The "W" Road

Funny you should mention the "W" road. I had my buddy drive me to Atlanta to pick up my new 2002 Goldwing a few years ago (my 4th Wing so I have a bunch of riding experience). As I was riding home to the Sequatchie Valley on the western side of Signal Mountain, I thought "I'll just take the "W" road. Never, ever again will I take my Wing up or down that road. As mentioned here earlier, there are a couple of hairpin turns that would challenge an ATV. I had just gotten to the first one on the way up, and going up, you are on the INSIDE of the curve. It is so steep and so sharp that I came within an eyelash of dropping the bike, I just gave it gas and prayed nobody was coming down in the other lane. I will never ride another motorcycle on the "W" nor would I recommend it to anyone. It's okay in a small car because you can't (well, maybe) turn it over. But you will have to back up occasionaly because 2 cars cannot meet on the curves.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used to live at the base of Signal Mountain on Mountain Creek Road and took my vette up and down W road a couple of times. Too narrow and rough to be a good bike road in my opinion. However, as someone else mentioned, Signal Mountain Road and also the road that goes up Lookout Mountain are both very good steep, winding, and twisting mountain roads. I miss Chattanooga. Every road there is a great road compared to the Dallas area where I'm stuck now.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Does the "W" road in TN have any resemblance with the road going up Mt. Evans? My wife and I rode it a couple of years back. A difficult road, but rideable none the less. I have never seen white knuckles before on a human being as I had seen on my wife's hands after reaching the summit. Once up there, all she kept on saying was: Never again! :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
By the W I am thinking you are refering to west road. It is a nice ride but too much traffic. The group I ride with likes switchback, tight turns basically anything but straight. Best to ride uphill and on inside turns go down to 2nd gear to have enough power to get up. stay on inside of inside turn and outside of outside turns cars take most of the road.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If anyone's been there lately, is the space ship house still on the switchback on Signal Mountain road?

Just checked Google Earth and according to their satellite shots, the house is still there. Signal Mountain road is highway 127. West road or the "W" road goes up the side of the mountain. It was nicknamed "W" road because near the top of the mountain there are 3 consecutive switchbacks that resemble the letter "W". If you have Google Earth installed you can get a very clear picture of this area, and make sure to turn on the terrain feature to get an idea of the elevation changes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, the spaceship house is still on 127.
I mounted my video camera on a tripod in the cage and drove the "W" both directions. My wife flat refuses to ride with me through it anymore in any kind of vehicle.
If you want an awesome view, take the left road at the entrance to the "W" road at the top. The road runs along the edge of the mountain, a gorgeous view, especially at night.
I have a picture of the "W" from the overlook. If anyone is interested in seeing it, drop me an e-mail.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Haven't been up it, but have gone up Mt. Nebo in AR 2 up. 18% grade with many tight switchbacks. Going up on the inside lane of one of those switchbacks is a white knuckle experience because the road rises so much. I never really appreciated the low end power of the Wing before then. The view from the top is worth it, and the cabins for rent are great.

How to ride it: take a breath, lean the bike, go slow, accelerate, straighten bike, breath again. Repeat.

It will definitely challenge you.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A friend and I left North Atlanta today and went to Chattanooga to ride the "W" road.

It was easy to find. After one sharp right we went aways and really nothing special. I was saying, "This is nothing". The we got to the "W". Yep, it's different. Very tight turns. No problems doing them. It's just that I've never ridden the 1800 around a corners like that before.

To describe them: Let's just say that anything longer than a large car and/or a van probably couldn't make it. Plus they are on a hill.

Here's the interesting part. Apparently they had a little winter weather up there recently. The turns and road were loaded with sand :shock:

A neat ride. Looking forward to taking unsuspecting friends that way. :twisted:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts