GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,my 2001 with 103,000 miles has a problem and I need help.The left and right signals and my hazards do not blink but the dashboard lights where the directionals are in stay on? I disconnected the battery but it did not fix the problem.Any help would be great.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
my bet is on the relay gone bad.
:agree: If your cancel unit dies the hazards would still work. Your flasher relay has died. It's built into the front side of the gauge assembly. It's a little circuit board with wires mounted to it. You have to pull the gauges out to see it on the front side. Here's the part number #37107-MCA-671 You should check and clean the connector under the seat as well, the green ground wire back there is a known weak point in the lighting system. It's C15 in the second picture.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you had the top of your steering stem off for any reason like alls balls or stem nut tightening you may not have plugged the cancel wire back together good enough. It will come apart if it does not click together when you lpug it back

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
If you had the top of your steering stem off for any reason like alls balls or stem nut tightening you may not have plugged the cancel wire back together good enough. It will come apart if it does not click together when you lpug it back
That would cause the signals to not work, but the hazards are on a different circuit. His hazards are dead too, and the only things in common are the grounds and the flasher relay. :thumbup:

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I'd go straight for the ground under the seat first. Apply a grounded probe to the rear part of the connector and see if everything starts working as a simple test.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
Bad connection in the 14 pin connector C31 . It is in the Harness at the rear, just under the Seat. Take off your seat and you will find the Harness, trace down the Green Wire and jump over the Connection with a Jumper Wire. If you have a Elect Manual, look it up. It is a known trouble spot, for when the Brakes are applied and the indicators on the Dash Light up or stay on, and will cause the signals not to work. I have found this little Gremlin on a few older wings, mostly 04's and below.

Look on Page 95 of the ETM Manual, you will see the Connector, to the right of the unplugged connector you will see the Female side, in your manual you can find that plug and locate Pin#14 if memory serves it is the Green one, just simply make a jumper wire over the connector.

I re read your post, this may be the solution, this connection problem usually shows up when applying the brakes and you get a intermittent flash of the turn signal indicators on the dash, or they stay on glowing slightly. It may be in your Flasher also as suggested above. But I have found this to also solve what your describing.
Rick, he has an 01 so it's C15 under the seat. C31 is on the 06 and up, but it is the same connector either way. I'll be surprised if the ground is the culprit since he never mentioned any issues with the brake lights or tail lights. :thumbup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on bike.
Ok guys I removed the seat and checked the wires and they all look tight and right so I put back the seat:shrug:.Now I ordered a new turn signal relay and when it comes in ( by next week ) I will open up the dash and see whats what.I noticed this morning that I do not have any brake lights and no rear lights as well ? but I think I have a burnt out rear tail light bulb that I am going to open up this morning as the sun rises more.I want to thank all of you fine men that took the time to write and to help me.:bow:
I will update more until this problem is solve.:yes1:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Personally, I would take the seat back off and shake rattle and roll the connectors mentioned above. You don't always see the culprit until you do a thorough check. JMHO :coffee1:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
:agree: Especially since your rear lights are out now. You definitely hit on something back there in the C15 connector. All of the tail light's and brake light's wires go thru that connector along with the ground.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Follow Goldwinggreg's advise. My 05 had the same problem. Once I identified the ground wire, I spliced in a new ground wire on the "taillight" side of the connector.

Grounding issues seem to be somewhat commmon. You better get used to running some of these down.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Did you click the link in my reply to your message?

You need to do more than look. You need to take the connector apart and check for corrosion... Did you apply a "bypass" as suggested by my link and other folks in this thread.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211038&highlight=bypassTry this one.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2389000&postcount=3

His hazards are dead too, and the only things in common are the grounds and the flasher relay. :thumbup:
The signal diode is also involved and if it is burned open, the flashers won't work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update
Ok here I go,I removed the seat again and looked very carfully at the connections and it all looked good and tight,no dirt of any thing else:shrug:
I moved every wire there while the bike was on but no luck:twisted: I need one of you fine gentlemen to show me the way how to check this.Is there anyone in the Boston area?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
When you unplugged the C15 connector, how did the pins look, clean and shiny or dull and hazy and how did the connector plastic look around the pin where the solid green wire is, normal nylon white or could you see any discoloration or signs of melting? The only thing common to your brake lights and tail lights is this ground wire, it's pin #6 in the connector.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update
I cleaned the connections which looked great,no burn or breaks.I put a mirror behind the bike and checked if lights would flicker when I moved the wiring around but still not even a flicker so now the new circut for the signals has arrived and I will replace it tommorow.stay tuned.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok now I m stuck,I cannot seem to remove the meter panel from the housing,is there some kind of trick to remove it ?please advise.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I cannot remove the meter gauge assembly

1 - 20 of 34 Posts