GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here again. What are the main differences from the 2010 down models as compared to the 2012 and up ones besides the body styles? Any major mechanical or electrical improvements that can justify the bigger price tag of the newer ones?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I made this guide a while back:

2001-2005: ABS or Non-ABS

Early 2006:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HP): Add Comfort Package
Level 3 (HPN): Add Navigation
Level 4 (HPNA): Add ABS

Late 2006-2008:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HPN): Add Comfort Package, Navigation
Level 3 (HPNA): Add ABS
Level 4 (B): Add Airbag

2009-2010:
Level 1 (HPM): Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2 (HPNM): Add Navigation/Weather/XM
Level 3 (HPNAM): Add ABS
Level 4 (BM): Add Airbag

2012-2017:
Level 1: Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2: Add Navigation/Weather/XM/Trip Planner
Level 3: Add ABS
Level 4: Add Airbag

My 2006 was a Level 4 when I bought it... Airbag wasn't available yet. So if you know GoldWings all you need to know is the top level item and year to know everything that is on a Wing. But most don't know so it's better to forget about the "levels" and just list the items on the bike.

2006 added bigger radiators and fans, bigger alternator, bigger front speakers (losing the small vents under the speakers).

2006-2008 had the first NAVI version with CF Cards, 2009-2010 had a improved version with SD cards, and 2012-2017 had an even better version where you could load your own routes via a second SD card.

2012 had improved front suspension (debatable), cosmetic changes, better GPS. I believe the CD player was no longer an option and there was a USB connector for playing songs from a thumb drive (or a Crapple Ipud).

2014 had improved transmission with 4th and 5th gears having improved dogs. GoldWingGreg is a better source of info on that.

It all depends on what's important to you. They are all good in my opinion but I'd get newer just because it's newer... and would logically cost a little more.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
USB connector (AUX2) makes it so the usb or ipod can be operated by the handlebar controls

AUX1 is on all years but is 3.5mm 'headphone' input jack, that accepts audio from the device of your choosing (mp3 player, phone (headphone jack, not usb), gps, .....)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info William. That is what I was looking for. Probably will be looking at 2014 and newer. Does all of 2014 have the improved transmission or just part of that year?

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I bought my 17, I was told that year did not have the air bag option. Level 3 would be the top level for 2017 models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts