GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This summer a deer tried to terminate us and the Wing. Fortunately, the bike stayed up, we were OK and the deer was dead. Too bad, it was quite a ways from home, would have made a nice feed of venison. Anyway, the rad and fan on the right side were nuked, and the fairing cracked. Now, with a replacement rad and fan installed, I need to fill the cooling system, and would like to know if this antifreeze meets Honda's no silica standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I cannot find anything including on their website that says silicate free. Usually if it doesnt say silicate free on the label, it wont be. IMHO, I wouldnt put it in mine. You can buy the proper stuff if you go to a Honda dealer and purchase their 50/50 coolant. I have used Zerex Asian for Honda (blue) which is silicate free because I can readily find that at O'Reilly auto parts and they have stores all across the country...

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Looking at 3 choices:

OEM antifreeze Honda dealer. $$

Honda "car" dealership, from their parts department. Better price.

Auto parts store, Prestone 50-50 silica free.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...> because I can readily find that at O'Reilly auto parts and they have stores all across the country...
...and, yet, the OP is not in this country, but the one to the north. :mrgreen:

OP: Try Canadian Tire, if possible - you want to use as pwhoever stated one that is compatible with Honda engines.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I'm asking is this is what I have in stock at home. Crappy Tire is 120km away, more than a hop skip and jump. The stuff I used previously was Motomaster Asian long life antifreeze and it was silicate free.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
http://www.recochem.com/us/products/turbo_power_coolants/global_extended_life

http://www.recochem.com/us/media/up...tomotive_Coolant_Selection_Guide_USA_0917.pdf

Reading these, I still say no.

See the fine print at the bottom of the PDF? "A propylene glycol-based version of this product is available, based on demand."

Honda specifically excludes certain chemicals from their coolant formulas.

EDIT: "It is not recommended to use non-Honda coolant or water only. This may cause deposits or corrosion in the cooling system. If it is not available, you may use another major-brand non-silicate coolant as a temporary replacement. Make sure it is a high-quality coolant recommended for aluminum engines."

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
:hun1:

Again, original poster is in Canada.

Providing O'Reilly material isn't helping the OP at all.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Are there no Honda Car dealerships in your area? I do not know what it costs in Canada but just south of you, the Honda Car dealers sell the 50/50 Honda antifreeze for about $20 a gallon.

Reactions: pidjones

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
:hun1:

Again, original poster is in Canada.

Providing O'Reilly material isn't helping the OP at all.

I understand the OP is in Canada. It just happens to be a silica free product that I know is sold at Oreillys so I used the ad from O'reillys for further info. Oreillys isnt an exclusive seller of it. It is just a feasible alternative to OEM Honda coolant. Zerex is a Valvoline product and appears to be available in Canada through NAPA, Walmart, Amazon, etc...

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looking at 3 choices:

OEM antifreeze Honda dealer. $$

Honda "car" dealership, from their parts department. Better price.

Auto parts store, Prestone 50-50 silica free.

Corventure Dave
Right there is your answer, great stuff and priced right plus it's got Honda right on the jug.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Are there no Honda Car dealerships in your area? I do not know what it costs in Canada but just south of you, the Honda Car dealers sell the 50/50 Honda antifreeze for about $20 a gallon.
Last year when I bought Honda premixed Type 2 from a Honda car store for my Goldwing, the 1 gallon jug was $18 CAD.
That seems like a bargain if Americans are paying $20 USD for the same jug.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not that the stuff isn't available in the Great White North, just that it happens to be 120km away from where its needed. I guess I'll have to wait until a trip to the big city becomes necessary. Until then, the Versys will have to suffice.

·
Registered
985 Posts
120 km away? It's as close as your computer if you have Amazon.

Reactions: sailordudeii

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The way I look at it is that by the time I pay the shipping costs for Amazon, on a nice day that would pay for the gas for a trip down to Kamloops.

Reactions: Farmguy

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
It's not that the stuff isn't available in the Great White North, just that it happens to be 120km away from where its needed. I guess I'll have to wait until a trip to the big city becomes necessary. Until then, the Versys will have to suffice.
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en...kwcid=AL!3645!3!303439922063!!!g!543732698849!

This link describes 'Turbo Power' is 'low silicate' rather than 'silicate free'.

I'd agree with your idea of making a trip to Kamloops....

I keep a jug of pre-mixed Honda coolant (from local Honda automotive dealer) in inventory for when a top up is needed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for that link Farmguy. After spending some time with Google, I came up with a big fat zero on the silicate content of that brand. You justified a bike trip to the big city. I see you are from Ontario. As a former Ontario farm resident from the Ottawa valley, let me recommend a trip out to lotus land. Our biking roads here are fabulous.

·
Registered
985 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts