GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking at a California Sidecar, 2010, ABS/NAV - don't know a lot more about it - we haven't been to see it yet.

It only has 4000 total miles on it.

Things to look for?

It does not have the running boards - will that be a big deal, and if so, how? Keeping rain out?

How much storage is there in a CSC Trike compared to a 2 wheel wing?

They want 33K.

All these questions...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe it's just me but the asking price seems a tad out of line. Several nice new trikes around this area for less than that. And they have the ground effects and lots of other extra's.

Might be worth doing a bit more comparison shopping. We have GL1800 with the CSC Cobra kit and we love it! But as I said, Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have had 1 1F/2R trike with and one without running boards. I think the negatives outweigh the 'advantages'. The CSC has one of the smaller trike trunks and a highly complex suspension with mostly proprietary parts. The price seems high for a resale.

We're looking at a California Sidecar, 2010, ABS/NAV - don't know a lot more about it - we haven't been to see it yet.

It only has 4000 total miles on it.

Things to look for?

It does not have the running boards - will that be a big deal, and if so, how? Keeping rain out?

How much storage is there in a CSC Trike compared to a 2 wheel wing?

They want 33K.

All these questions...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Not a silly question at all. I researched trikes for 6 months before I got one back in 2005. It is a big decision.

I like my CSC and I would go look at it.
4K is a new machine.
You would be hard pressed to trike a new one for 33K

One thing you need to ask yourself, is who can work on it in your area and what trike kits they work on.

See what a used 2010 low mileage wing goes for in your area. The trike should go for that + 10K

Ask if the trike has been raked and if it has any other high priced options like CB, aux gas tank etc.

If you have that kind of money, I would take a look at the Harley tri-glide especially after seeing your pictures on the post.
You could buy a new one for that kind of money, have a warranty and dealer support.

Last month I was at the grandkids 3 thousand miles from home. I called the local Honda dealer in the area to see if I could get a new front tire and an oil change and they would not work on trikes. This is something to think about when you have a Goldwing trike no matter what kit you have.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Some of the areas I would check:
1. No unusual vibrations going down the road.
2. Make sure it has the rake kit installed.
3. The trunk holds about 4cu ft. Which is ok but the 2 hinges interfere with some of that as they fit inside the trunk. Wasn't able to find the saddle bags dim, but they are less.

I like the running boards but not sure how much they keep rain off of u. If ridding in the rain, I get wet almost every where from direct and indirect rain hitting me. They make the trike look finished and gives another place to rest your feet, while ridding. They also make sure u don't put your feet under the rear wheels. They also seem to keep some of the crap from being thrown up on my feet and legs.

Ask about what kind of warranty u will have. CSC (which starts when sold the first time and is transferable) has a 3 year on their part but Honda will drop any warranty for the drive train and frame area. I have had warranty work done on the Honda electrical since triking w/o issue though.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I love you guys - LOL - so much good information here.

Thanks for the info on the running boards, trunk (wife saw some pictures online and said "that's it?" LOLOL.. She immediately started looking at a trailer..

Rake kit was on my list.

They have a gold 06 in this area as well - same place I bought my Wing in fact, for $26K - 32K miles. Looks clean. It's a couple of hours away. I live out on Whidbey in the Puget Sound and it takes me an hour just to get to the highway. Mostly I look at that as a good thing, but it makes a 'quick trip to town' anything but.. LOL..

Also never even thought about service. Wife did - I told her about the service issue mentioned and she's like - yeah, they need a special lift.. I thought - DUH.. :cus:

Everyone loves their choice in trike and they're such a unique purchase that it's hard to line them all up and pick and choose what you like.

The Tri-glide idea was another one I overlooked. I don't know about the power on that though. I love my Harley but I bought it with the intent of going nowhere quickly or with any urgency. It's a beautiful bike (IMO) but it's definitely lacking in power. I don't know how that would translate to the missus.. She mostly rides our Boulevard and that's also underpowered in my opinion.

Gotcha on the saddlebags dimensions being less than the small trunk on the CSC.

I also thought 4K was a low mile trike, but the price made me raise an eyebrow. Seemed high to me too. Have to go look for a '10 GL and see what they asking price is. My local dealer is still high on used 08s.. (see link above..)

Would love to have CB - would give me a reason to add one to my bike and get ride of the Chatterboxes we currently use for bike to bike comms.

mrfixit - could you link me to some of the trike sellers in your area? I'm not adverse to traveling to get what we want and riding it home. Great reason for a road trip this time of year. We have yet to really get a summer here yet..

Warranty would make the wife smile for sure. Any kind of warranty. I know of only two trike builders in our area - our Honda dealer does CSC, and there is a place in Lynnwood that is supposed to do CSC as well, but their website has said "coming soon' so long I don't get a warm and fuzzy AT ALL. LOL.. My guess is they'll be 'going soon' too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Look up these 3 dealers in Arkansas, fly in and ride home would be a good trip. Heartland Honda of Springdale, Honda of Russellville and also Sunrise Honda of Searcy. All three of these sell trikes and bikes all over the US. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Beware of the HD Tri Glide. Very HOT running bike. It will cost at least $2,000 to get rid of most of the heat. Don't remember if it comes with an oil cooler,if not. Then it needs one. They also had issues, but most have been resolved. It will also be under powered unless you spend the $$. Getting rid of he heat will add a bunch of HP. Another option for a factory trike is the Victory Vision by Lehman. The wing is still tops when it comes to trikes. Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
20 Posts
RE:CSC Trike

Got mine for less than that brand new in 2009 with helmets and accessories included. You should look also at Shawnee Honda in Oklahoma, which is where I purchased mine, last time I was there they had 7 on the floor new and some used ones. Believe they have the same ownership as one of them mentioned in Arkansas. Great folks to deal with and good service (might be a tad far for service for you).

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If youre looking for a wing nothing will match. Rode a Victory crossbow awhile back. The six speed tranny is nice,lots of chugging power down low. Its a short wheelbase trike so it has some low speed wobble issues associated with the geometry of the kit. It has some heat coming off of the motor,but nothing like my LC1500 vtwin trike did. And I wouldnt plan on packing much in the trunks (3 of them!) because of the size. But it had a nice ride and lots of torque but definitely too loud for my taste with the exhaust they had on it. The Wing is a Cadillac compared to the Harley and Victory.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just for price comparison purposes...http://www.doddcycles.com/.

We bought our '06 in '08 from him and would do business with Leon again in a New York second!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Beware of the HD Tri Glide. Very HOT running bike. It will cost at least $2,000 to get rid of most of the heat. Don't remember if it comes with an oil cooler,if not. Then it needs one. They also had issues, but most have been resolved. It will also be under powered unless you spend the $$. Getting rid of he heat will add a bunch of HP. Another option for a factory trike is the Victory Vision by Lehman. The wing is still tops when it comes to trikes. Tom :doorag:
What issues did they have? Have not heard of any.
They do have an oil cooler, they are 103's like my limited. I don't worry much about the heat as I live in Arizona and it always hot anyway. 108 at the moment.

I saw where they put a 32 tooth sprocket on the front for 2011 which would give it grunt over a 2010.

What attracts me to a tri-glide is the warranty and the ability to take it to any dealer, someting I don't have with my CSC and the cost of a new trike is attractive. This is a bug deal to me because my trike builder went out of business and service is an issue.

I think I will rent a tri-glide for a couple days and take it on a trip to see what I really think about them.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
They do have an oil cooler, they are 103's like my limited. I don't worry much about the heat as I live in Arizona and it always hot anyway. 108 at the moment.

I saw where they put a 32 tooth sprocket on the front for 2011 which would give it grunt over a 2010.

What attracts me to a tri-glide is the warranty and the ability to take it to any dealer, someting I don't have with my CSC and the cost of a new trike is attractive. This is a bug deal to me because my trike builder went out of business and service is an issue.

I think I will rent a tri-glide for a couple days and take it on a trip to see what I really think about them.
I guy I have ridden with had issues pulling a camper with his HD Tri-glide. It needed more power, but for 2 riders, it was fine. Even w/o passenger, the camper really drug him down. He sold the camper after a couple of trips.

Here is the CSC site that u can play with as far as costs for the different features.
http://www.californiasidecar.com/pricelist_cobra.htm
This does not include the install labor.
A better way to check pricing is to get your price for a GL of your choice and then ask a installer how much he/she would change to add the kit to the model u priced. Then u can go from there.

If u are going to build one for yourself, I recommend:
Power Track (EZ Steer/Rake)
Aux Tank
Performance Brake Upgrade
Ground Effects
Vinyl StoneGuard Fender Kit (or do it yourself)
Parking Brake
Trailer Hitch

But that is just me. Others will have other likes.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We just had our 07 triked at Avondale Honda, just outside of phoenix. We got the ground effects and the aux. tank, also the heavier brakes. Have taken a couple of fairly long local rides. Az. to Nv. and such. Rides great. We bought the bike originally from Ride Now Powersports in Honda. Also got a service agreement. They said they would still honor the original bike, but not the CSC part, unless we paid extra. Which was fine by me. :cool:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some really great responses here and as a result I have about three dozen tabs working at the same time right now.

doddcycles gave us the best picture of what's out there and what it costs to own one of these fine machines. I can get a new one built out here for about the same price depending on where I source the bike from. I'm comfortable up to about $35K I suppose - I can add more later. I'm going to get rid of one of my cars and use that money toward it.

I could just buy it outright but it's a good reason to get rid of one of my cars. I have too many in the first place..

Can also get a Tri-Glide for $32K with a two year warranty. Really pretty bikes and reasily available. I don't our style of riding would be hurt by the power difference between the TG and my Wing anymore than the difference between my Wing and her C50 Boulevard..

Confused, but learning a lot and coming closer to making a decision.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your input.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We just had our 07 triked at Avondale Honda, just outside of phoenix. We got the ground effects and the aux. tank, also the heavier brakes. Have taken a couple of fairly long local rides. Az. to Nv. and such. Rides great. We bought the bike originally from Ride Now Powersports in Honda. Also got a service agreement. They said they would still honor the original bike, but not the CSC part, unless we paid extra. Which was fine by me. :cool:

FYI - Coyote Honda does CSC as well and they are supposed to be a good place from what I've heard and they are an authorized CSC dealer.

(Avondale and Coyote are a long way from Fountain Hills)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

You will mind the heat, especially in Arizona. People are getting bad burns from the rear jug. Three that come to mind are, trunk latches, trunk leaking, ignition switches. Switches are being replaced, Lehman took a while to redesign the trunk gasket. The latches are vibrating loose. Great looking bike. I recently heard running boards are now available. But don't even think about an axillary gas tank. Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry Rod, That was Coyote Honda in Avondale that did ours. They treated us really well. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Only complaint so far is that the aux. tank takes a while to fill and the gas light has come on but then I go out the next day and have between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. I've been wondering if I keep driving will it run out of gas while I still have some in the aux. tank?:shrug:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts