GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
28,699 Miles - Replaced rear tire (with about 5,000 miles on it) with new OEM tire. Reason, upcoming trip that would have put that tire at near EOL. Tire is now in the garage. Just read a post about having a spare rim for this purpose. From the prices I saw, this might be a good idea.

Also replaced rear brake pads with OEM pads.

Discussion starter · #25 · (Edited)
38,710 Miles

Replaced front and rear tires with OEM tires Bridgestones 704 and 709.

10,000 miles or rear tire and 16,000 miles on the front. I could have ran the front tire another 8,000 miles now that I look at the last time I changed it at 24,000 miles.

I need to look at my records before I change it again. Just to make sure it really needs it.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
46,471 Miles

Replace rear tire with OEM Bridgestone 709. Tire was replaced because of an up coming 6,000 mile trip.
Tire had only had 7,761 miles on it and probably would have made it on the trip but.....

Changed oil and oil filter. Shell Rotella T6 5W -40 (Blue Jug)

No issues.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
46,471 Miles.

Finished air clearer replacement took my time and watched Fred's videos. Started, stopped as each step was completed. It all came apart and went back together as shown in the videos. And yes, I have not ridden it since the last update. I will try and correct that.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
49727 Miles

Had the front forks serviced at Traxxion in Woodstock, GA. Also added front fork brace.

There is significantly less vibration in the front forks after they were serviced. Traveled same route to and from Traxxion to make the comparison valid.

CarolinaRider, thanks for all this. I've only owned my 2012 a little over a year, everything you've put in here is very helpful.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Just replaced the Battery with a Yuasa GYZ20. Will add the mileage later. Battery was purchased from Ridge Motorsports. They are set up to charge the batteries if not factory charged. Seems like a place that knows what they are doing.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
54,475 Miles

Replaced the rear tire with a new OEM (Bridgestone G704 Radial 180/60R). Tire had about 8,000 miles on it. It appeared to have some tread left, but a discussion in another thread convinced me I should just go ahead and replace it now.

Replaced the rear brake pads with OEM pads. These pads had about 25,000 miles on them. I inspected them and it appears that they had at least another 5,000 or more miles left on them before they would need to be replaced. But since the bike was going to be in the shop, I opted to have them replaced now.

All work was done by a local motorcycle shop I have been using, Ridge Motorsports in Batesburg-Leesville, SC. I could have brought in my own tire to have it mounted and saved maybe $20 - $30 dollars on the price. Instead I opted to work out a good price with the shop and hopefully help them and allow me a more secure feeling about the work they will be doing.

I did supply the OEM pads since the shop did not have an easy way to purchase them. I purchased the pads from Revzilla. It was easier to order from them then some other sites I checked.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
54,475 Miles

Replaced the front brake pads. The "wear" lines were still visible on the pads. So they were close to needing to be replaced but had a few thousand miles left on them it would appear.

Last replaced at 26,978 miles so.... it appears I can get about 30,000 miles on a set of pads the way I ride.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
54,475 Miles

Changed oil, oil filter, new crush washer. Oil was Shell Rotella T6 5W -40 (Blue Jug). Also flushed the brake lines.

I changed the oil because I had the oil and filter on hand, had the side cover off to get to the rear brake master cylinder so I just did it.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
60,402 Miles

Replaced both front and rear tires with Bridgestones. See link below for reference on why I decided to do this.

Front tire - Bridgestone G709 Radial 130/70R - last replaced at 38,710 miles (21,653 miles on tire to date)
Rear tire - Bridgestone G704 Radial 180/60R - last replaced at 54,475 miles (5,888 miles on tire to date).

Tire Replacement Question (Mileage Based)

Discussion starter · #39 ·
60,502 Miles

Added WindBender S-15 to the bike. This was an attempt to minimize the air turbulence I was feeling. I do have a new Shark Evoline helmet and it also might be the cause. The only way to verify was to ride and compare.

The WIndBender has, after some test rides, improved the amount of air turbulence I was hearing/feeling. Not an earth shattering change but an improvement. And I do like the WindBender better than the OEM just because of how it attaches and is adjusted.

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
64,522 Miles

Changed oil, oil filter, new crush washer. Oil was Shell Rotella T6 5W -40 (Blue Jug).

No issues

Also replaced the tires on my Hannigan Trailer with the tires pictured below. I think I got the correct tires. I know they are rated for highway use.

The trailer tires had 37,739 miles on them. Don't know if that is a lot or not. I do know that one are of the tires tread was down to 2/32" in depth.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.