GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are headed out a week from Wed. to escape the heat. West from Tulsa, through Taos and up 550 (Million Dollar Highway). We will stay two nights in Silverton to ride the area and of course will be hitting all the roads in a whirlwind tour before heading home. Only 7 days for the whole trip.

For those who have experience in the area, considering we are staying in Silverton for two nights and basing out of there for 3 days. What are some must see things within a days ride from Silverton and/or anywhere along the loop? We will be coming back home the southern route through Taos the same way we went up.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Heading north: Look up the little town of Gateway, on Hwy 141, which means you go to Ouray, then at Ridgeway you turn left and head on 141.

The ride to Gateway is all twisties and you are basically riding in an ancient lake basin.

Heading south: You could go to Durango, then head west to Mesa Verde, then head north towards Telluride, then Ridgeway, then south to Ouray, and back to Silverton. That's an all day loop. If you like tight turns, the rides in that area will give you those thrills.

I just spent a week in that area. I'd give you more details, but I shipped the map home with the bike.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mingo, those roads are all on the list. I was wondering about ghost towns, old mines, falls etc etc. We plan 5 days of hard riding but at least a couple for smelling the roses.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You may be better off staying in Ouray instead of Silverton. Ouray has better hotels and food. Don't miss the hot springs pool in Ouray. The Victorian Inn in Ouray is price fair and the owners are on site. Just my input from my trip there in June.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You could rent a Jeep in Ouray and explore some of the mountain passes in that area. The drive up to Imogene Pass is full of abandoned mines, some large, some small. There are tours that are run out of Telluride and Ouray up to Imogene Pass.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got back from there a week ago. I went from Okmulgee to I 40 to Albuquerque then north to Durango. We went up the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton. If you stay there, then there is a OLD hotel next to grumpys that looked really neat. We then went on to Ouray. I would recommend staying there. I looked amazing and the Hot Springs looked really inviting. At Monarch Pass There was a tram that went up the mountain and it was really neat cost like $10. We rode up to Montrose and went west to Gunnison. That was another great ride with lots of little mining buildings and ghost towns. Enjoy your trip

·
Banned
291 Posts
As a many times visitor to that area, I would strongly recommend Ouray as your base. The hotel/motel accommodations are much better and less expensive than Silverton (Telluride is millionaire country) and at least one day should be spent renting a jeep and exploring the old mine trails.

Regards
Doug

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We had lunch in the Handlebar Cafe in Silverton in June. chicken pot pie was really good and the warm fire was welcome. It was sunny and 42. Locals running around in shorts and tee shirts and us in our riding great to stay comfortable. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts