GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home last night and there was a dreaded "IMPORTANT: SAFETY RECALL NOTICE" letter from Honda waiting for me :shock: . I hadn't heard of a problem, so I ripped it open and found it pertained to my wife's SilverWing - boy was I relieved!

Apparently, Honda has determined that "excessive clearance between the lower handlebar clamps and handlebar holder creates stress that can break the threaded attaching studs. If one side fails, the handlebar will be loose."

I was a little perturbed to find a "request for reimbursement" for this work, and that it stated that it had to be performed before January 8, 2004 for the payment to be valid for a refund. :evil:

I was all set to call someone, because I didn't receive the notice until January 12th, but further reading made it obvious that this was for those people who had already paid to have the repair performed by the dealer.

Looks like a trip to the dealer for service is in order - first time for me. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Jon, my wife wants a Silverwing. How does your wife like her's? After telling Susan about your post, she's kinda glad she don't have one yet.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, she loves it! She calls it her little "twist and go" because that's all she needs to do - she didn't want to mess with any shifting.

She's a warm-weather rider, so it sits during the winter, but she put about 1500 miles on it just putzing around in 4 months or so.

We changed the windshield to give her a little more protection from the buffeting, had the seat trimmed to fit her better, she also added Kury Iso-Grips and a passenger backrest so my son could be more comfortable when he rides with her.

Of course, I added some accent LEDs to the back of the radiator grille and a garage door opener tied to her high-beam light switch, but other than that, it's stock :D

It's pretty nimble, and with a 600cc engine it gets up and goes pretty well. I like getting on it occasionally - it feels so much lighter than mine, and handles very well.

We haven't had any service issues yet, this will be the first time we've had any problems with it. (Except for draining the battery due to not closing the seat fully - there's a light for the under-seat storage area. I'm going to put it on a timer to shut it off after a preset period of time to keep that from happening again)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Boy the SilverWing has had it's share of problems what with the Broken Wheels and now Handlebars that can brake loose. :shock:

It makes the 1800 Frame problem look minor doesn't it. :wink:

Jerry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jon,

You must live pretty close, I'm in Lynnwood WA. My wife also has a SilverWing scooter. After she fell over twice we put a Texas Sidecar on it and had it painted to match the bike. It is a perfect ride for a lovely lady that doesn't want to shift. The only bad thing about my wife's scooter is that she is a total guy magnet with the sidecar. No matter where we go she always draws a big crowd. I don't mind though, it really makes her feel great about her bike. We had to have our wheel replaced during the first recall, your bike must be newer than our 2002! Here is a photo, I don't how to make the photo happen in this space.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
That looks real neat Unclemaslo. :)

We have a Suz 650 Burgman on order to use with a Jawa hack this spring.
The only problem with using the Jawa is that I'll have to make all the mounts for it but that's what my MIG welder is for. 8)

Have you found that your wife needs ballast in the sidecar? if so how much does it take to keep it down?

Hacks can be a lot of fun untill the new pilots "Fly the Chair" too far :shock:

But with some practice it is a lot of fun to spook unexpecting passangers. :twisted:

Jerry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Jerry,

Thanks, it is a fun little rig. The side car is fairly light and the chair comes up very easily. We keep two five gal. water bags (the fold up camping style) in the car. So we have roughly 80 pounds of ballast. If we pick up some weight while we are out on the road, we can just get rid of some water...it works great.

That's a nice looking rig you have!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darn, UncleMaslo - now I've got to try to keep my wife from seeing that!! :lol:

Yeah, we're very close. We'll need to get together for a ride some time - if not sooner, I hope we'll be having a 2nd Annual "2.5 Mile Mountain Run" coming up. (Maybe this year we'll get a little luckier on the weather :wink: )

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know Jon,

It looks like you got really lucky on the weather to me! Any time you have wet pavement, that's a good thing. Sounds like a good time, I'm fully equipped for below freezing riding (as soon as I install my new heated grips that is).

UM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts