GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin GPS unit on my wing. One very nice feature is it allows me to store music files on the SD card and listen to the music when I ride.

Just bought a bunch of CD's. What is the easiest way to convert this music to something the Garmin will understand.

Please realize I am rather computer skills limited.

·
Registered
81 Posts
first of all the garmin requires the music in mp3 format
i had to download all my music from cd into windows media player in mp3 format then it was easy to download to a sd card

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You will need to download an MP3 "codec", then Windows Media Player can be used to "Rip" the audio files from the CDs to MP3 (you will need to set the Tools/Options/Rip Music Formt to mp3) files on your hard drive. After that, you can use Windows Explorer to copy the files to the SD card. The only hardware that you should need (assuming your computer has a CD or DVD drive) is the ability to write to the SD card - either a USB card writer for ~$10 at Wally World, or many newer computers have it built in.

·
Registered
452 Posts
...<snip>The only hardware that you should need (assuming your computer has a CD or DVD drive) is the ability to write to the SD card - either a USB card writer for ~$10 at Wally World, or many newer computers have it built in.
You may not need the card reader/writer. When I plug my Garmin 660 (with the SD card installed in it) into my laptop via USB, the GPS unit shows up as well as its SD card as a removable disk. No card reader/writer needed. Just open the removable disk up in Windows Explorer and dragon-drop your MP3 files to it.

I use Easy CD/DA Extractor to do my rips... http://www.poikosoft.com/

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Use this FREE download it will import music from a cd put it on computer then allow you to create a playlist in the sequence you want and then copy the mp3 songs to your removable hardisk (garmin)

http://www.apple.com/downloads/

It is from apple but works on windows just fine. questions send me a of line [email protected]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Spending it in front of this monitor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts