GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My 2007 GL1800 was purchased used from the dealership and the previous owner had the single antenna for both radio and CB (black trucker style flexible type). Looks cool but the radio reception is virtually non existant. The dealer tells me all the radios suck on the goldwings and that its probably not the antenna. I have zero AM radio reception and FM is piss poor eventhough I live in the Los Angeles area and should get great reception. What do you all think?? Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have Sierra Electronics am/fm/cb antenna and the AM is not great but its ok,I dont really listen to AM anyway,the FM reception is fine and the CB is better with this antenna than most of my riding friends with the Honda CB antenna.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have Sierra Electronics am/fm/cb antenna and the AM is not great but its ok,I dont really listen to AM anyway,the FM reception is fine and the CB is better with this antenna than most of my riding friends with the Honda CB antenna.
:agree:I have the same antenna, mine is 2 feet long, they are available in 3 feet also :thumbup:

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
You may just have a defective antenna. My brother bought a new CB kit from Siera Electronics and his transmission was poor from day one. For some reason they had included two antennas in his order. After a few months we switched antennas and it sounded great.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Install seperate cb and am/fm radio antennas and wire them up its not that hard. You will need to remove the seat and have the service manual.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,103 Posts
I have the single antenna from Bike MP3 and reception is fine on AM/FM/WB/CB... You should have good reception despite what you were told.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I have the single antenna from Bike MP3 and reception is fine on AM/FM/WB/CB... You should have good reception despite what you were told.
Ditto! Me too. I am using the single Firestick NGP (No Ground Plane) antenna that I purchased with my GL2Way. AM/FM/WB/CB all work just fine.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Wonder if your antenna lead has come loose from either the back of the radio or where it plugs into the CB splitter in the bottom of the trunk. I've seen both happen.

Check those connections.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with the B-man. Check all your connections. You have to have a good, working antenna to pick up AM signals. FM can be picked up with not much more than a paper clip in the connector. The ground may be loose as well. That plays a lot into AM and CB reception.

If you have regular antenna lying around, plug it in and see if you can pick up AM (dont try the CB with a regular one though). That'll let you know if your tuner works like its supposed to.

Good luck...

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Depends on your splitter

If you have the Sierra which in my opinion for CB use is the best your AM will be bad but FM should be good

If you have the Firestik splitter AM/FM radio is better

But do check your connections as others have indicated

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wonder if your antenna lead has come loose from either the back of the radio or where it plugs into the CB splitter in the bottom of the trunk. I've seen both happen.

Check those connections.
I agree. I had the same problem on my Wing when I first got it. Turned out the antenna was no longer plugged into the radio unit. Probably happened the last time the shelter was pulled. Getting the antenna plugged back in was a real bitch. Don't ask me how I know...:frown:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Single vs dual Honda antennas

Go back to the OEM antenna. A friend of mine had the single for both radio and CB. One extended trip with limited or no radio reception and poor poor CB use he went back to the OEM set up and double grounded everything, set the SWR as best as it could gotten. Now he is a happy Goldwinger with good radio reception and great CB send and receive.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here... Have you checked under the radio (AM and FM one) to insure the antenna wire is plugged into the radio.??? Someone may have forgotten to plug the antenna wire into the radio the last time the cowl was off...

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here... Have you checked under the radio (AM and FM one) to insure the antenna wire is plugged into the radio.??? Someone may have forgotten to plug the antenna wire into the radio the last time the cowl was off...
Really? You're going out on a limb? You probably read posts 8, 9 and 12 number and thought "Gee, they didn't cover this idea well enough so I'm going to add my two cents!"

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
You may just have a defective antenna. My brother bought a new CB kit from Siera Electronics and his transmission was poor from day one. For some reason they had included two antennas in his order. After a few months we switched antennas and it sounded great.
Nothing wrong with what Sierra sent him. They use a dummy ant which is only for looks is not functional other than making the dual ant's match. Your brother just put the wrong one on the first time. He purchased a dual ant kit or Sierra sent him a dual ant kit.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The Sierra antennas (the best unit to have) with two black 2-3 foot sections, one is a dummy the other the working antenna. The second Just fills the old antenna hole. I claim two antenna helps with balancing the bike at speeds. ;)

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Really? You're going out on a limb? You probably read posts 8, 9 and 12 number and thought "Gee, they didn't cover this idea well enough so I'm going to add my two cents!"

:rolleyes:
Or, he could have been posting at the same time...

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
Go back to the OEM antenna. A friend of mine had the single for both radio and CB. One extended trip with limited or no radio reception and poor poor CB use he went back to the OEM set up and double grounded everything, set the SWR as best as it could goten. Now he is a happy Goldwinger with good radio reception and great CB send and receive.
:agree:... go back to the OEM antennas. Some say AM reception is not that great but really don't know of anyone complaining of FM reception or cb receive/transmit problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts