GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why Honda chose to use single-use bolts to hold on the front-brake caliper?

Not only are they expensive, $8.30 each times a quantity of 4, but so far they're difficult to come by. I contacted 3 local Honda dealers and they didn't have them. I ordered them from Honda Direct Line and they took 3 weeks to come in. So anytime you remove the front brake calipers to remove/replace the front tire, you have to factor in 4 replacement bolts. Thanks.

Bill Campbell
Oxford, PA

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If I were you I would disregard that BS. All the Honda shops I know of do. That is why you can't find the bolts. I think they say that because of that red thread locker they use on the bolts but I have heard other explanations also. I don't know of any one that replaces the bolts like Honda says.

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've always chosen not to replace mine. I don't use any thread locker either. I just torque them
and have never had them loosen up or any other problems.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Does anyone know why Honda chose to use single-use bolts to hold on the front-brake caliper?
Not sure why Honda does, and also don't know why Ford, GM, Chrysler, as well as every other auto manufactures chooses to use a 1 time bolt. To my knowledge, all of them recommend replacing caliper mount bolts with new. However, rarely is it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts