GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several articles in the WSJ about the money problems Sirius is having. They have to pay something like $178,000,000 payment before the end of February. Well, I just saw a article from the WSJ stating that AT&T or Verizon might be interested in buying Sirius.

·
Registered
541 Posts
No kidding. Stern's $100 million a year salary for 5 years would break just about any company. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sirius

No problem, just give them a bailout.

D

·
0 Posts
Stern's not worth a million over 5 years, he'd be looking for a new gig if left up to me. That guy is useless and boring.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
They've totally ruined the programming since the merger, and the price hike on the second radio isn't going to help their cause. Ipods are looking better and better:lol:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I got screwed. I have 2 xm's and 1 sirus. They won't separate their billing since the merger. I guess i will get rid of the sirus and save 12.00 a month.

D

·
0 Posts
+1 on the programming. I've had 4 Sirius units since they turned on the first Sat. The XM programming was never as good as Sirius and now the Sirius programming is as bad as XM was. They should have left well enough alone but I think both companies were going to go under eventually if they didn't do something. The programming can be fixed but not sure about this more recent financial hole they seem to be in once again. Somebodylike Clear Channel will probably buy them and all we have is News and Commercials. And yes from a billing perspective the subscriptions have not been blended and if your XM your not Sirius. One of the tiny reasons I didn't get an '09, knew I'd have to pay full boat on the XM.

Geof :coffee1:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I doubt ClearChannel will be buying anybody any time soon - they just laid off 9% of their workforce and they're losing money as fast as everyone else is.

D

·
0 Posts
Well as I wrote that previous post it was reported that Echo Star is buying up their debt in what appears to be an attempt to take control of Sirius XM. Echo Star has big money problems also so we may see everybody looking for a bail-out before this is over. Warren Buffet could pick up a bunch of media cheap.

Geof ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Daycruiser:Stern's not worth a million over 5 years.

I would say he's not worth $5.00 over a million years!!! Trash talking don't do nuttin for me, I've got XM for the music. Now that they've got disc jockies starting to show up on Top Tracks, I'm seriously reconsidering my subscription. Then I got an e-mail this week that says my added receivers are going up to $8.99 from $6.99 a month. That's quite a bit when I can listen to local dj's for free.

D

·
0 Posts
gbegoon,

Ah you got that right. Stern's a looser that some how convinced people he's edgy. His counter parts are quitting or have been fired so his show is in somewhat of a shambles. He's rumored to be retiring sooner than later so who knows or cares. Sirius sent me a letter wanting me to convert all my receivers to a longer plan and lock in my 6.99 price for the three add-ons. Sounds like a Cell phone company now. I probably will only because I don't really like chasing channels on FM or putting up with the advertising. My hope is somebody will acquire Sirius XM and fix it. The programming has absolutely gone down hill since the merger but that can be fixed by the right people. I can live with the cost currently unless they get stupid. Sirius needs almost a billion dollars to clear up their debt, we could see Echo Star (Dish Network) and Sirius XM get bought up by some giant. If the Feds bail them out do you think we'd end up with the Obama Channel? Would that be hosted by Oprah? And produced backed by Tom Daschel?

Geof :shrug:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The new rate thing they just e-mailed their customers is a little disturbing. I've noticed they've taken some channels off and replaced them with some crappier stuff. When they did merge w/ Sirius they should have included it with the XM pkg and not charge an extra $4.00 for it. (I don't subscribe to sirius) I just locked in at the old rates for a year longer on the 5 radios I now have, but with that being said, an IPod maybe in my future. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
As long as I can listen to NASCAR channel on 128 and a few comedy channels, I will stay with Sirius. For as much as I am in a car driving daily, it's the only thing that is keeping me in check...:eek:4:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since I bought the 09 I am thinking about the lifetime subscription for that radio. At current rates it will pay for itself in 30 months. After that the radio is free unless they go under then it wont matter. I do like the weather radar and to me that's worth the 4.00 per month.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts