GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Siruis radio on my past 06 Wing, I think that the setup was the one that was sold through J&M as well as through a few other dealers. The radio was the replay and was mounted on my left handlebar.

From what I remember the radio did not work all that well when riding through forests. Has there been any upgrades in the last few years ?

What has everone been using? I have seen a company that makes a docking kit, mounts and antenna for around $69 (you supply the radio) If I went that route that is probably the one I would choose.

If you documented your installation I would like to see pix and tips and hear some feedback. I probably would buy a used radio off Ebay or Craigslist.

TIA,
John

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
The question was asked if anything has changed.

I have had three different XM radios, and I've had issues with heavy tree canopies blocking the satellite signal. Proper placement of the antenna can help somewhat, but if the sunlight can't get through it, the signal will fade.

Yes. However, it isn't where you expect it.

Since the merger, Customer Service for SiriusXM has gone to h_ll. I'm still working on getting an answer for a question that I asked of SiriusXM Customer No-support during the first week of January.

I can't get one person to give me an answer regarding an issue with my account.

·
Registered
466 Posts
mrgl02 is correct, heavy foliage will reduce the signal strength. So will deep canyons or an obstructed view of the southern sky. By giving your antenna an unobstructed view of the sky, you can prolong reception a bit but it will cut out.

I've tried the mobile, home and GXM antennas and had the best success with the GXM but the signal still cut out. I don't know about Sirius but with XM they have terrestrial towers that compensate for the signal blockage by buildings, especially in heavy populated areas. Out in the boonies, you're on your owm.

Also be aware that in very heavy rain, the signal strength can be reduced.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bottom line no IMPROVEMENTS since I had my last one. Guess I will stick with my Cowon D2.

Thanks
My Sirius does the same thing...a canopied street will cause it to cut out. It is very annoying...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts