GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sirius radio that I move from my car to my wing. It would be nice to have an extra antenna and power adapter. Anyone have any they want to part with cheap? I suppose an XM antenna and adapter would work also. Anyone have any information about that?

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
E-Bay,
Just do a search "sirius satellite radio" this should offer many options for your listening enjoyment

G

·
Richard, the XM antenna will work on the Sirius radio but not the power adapter. XM is 6 Vdc (at least the Roady) and the Sirius is 12 Vdc. Also the power connectors are different sizes.

Tom

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you care for a short cable antenna wire on the bike you can get one at "Dallas Motorcycle Accessories" I think it is. Not cheap but beats all that extra wire.....providing you mount it close to the radio like on a Hoon mount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Steve S for the information for the short antenna cable, antenna! I just ordered one from Dallas Motorcycle accessories. Like you said, a little expensive but now I can use the antenna that came with my Sirius Starmate replay on my car. Now, all I need to do is figure out IF I can cut off the cigarette plug and wire it directly to the 12.volt acc. terminal. I'm wanting to go from the acc. screw thats next to the battery and run the wire under the front shelter ( if I can figure how to take that off) to the steering head and up the left handlebar to the Sirius unit.
Thanks again! Cliff
Colorado Springs, CO [/b]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Wing777 said:
Thanks Steve S for the information for the short antenna cable, antenna! I just ordered one from Dallas Motorcycle accessories. Like you said, a little expensive but now I can use the antenna that came with my Sirius Starmate replay on my car. Now, all I need to do is figure out IF I can cut off the cigarette plug and wire it directly to the 12.volt acc. terminal. I'm wanting to go from the acc. screw thats next to the battery and run the wire under the front shelter ( if I can figure how to take that off) to the steering head and up the left handlebar to the Sirius unit.
Thanks again! Cliff
Colorado Springs, CO [/b]
Glad to help. here's what I did about the 12VDC. I used the plug behind the left pocket and cut off the cigarette plug portion of the adaptor and used a connector from EC that fits the bike 12v connector. I wanted a fairly permanant connection. Going from the battery is fine if you want.....I'm assuming that is a switched connection you're using.......off with the key switch, adn not straight to the battery??

If you like the fairing pocket 12VDC idea then you can get extra connectors, and a bit of wire.....EC has the pins also) and pigtail them together for another 12VDC plug at the same point for later stuff! :)

P.S. I just re-read and you did say ACC. terminal which is switched. that is an added terminal I suppose......I don't think I have one of those??

·
Registered
608 Posts
Wing777

Before you plug your Sirius into a 12V wire, you better check the required voltage!!!!!!!!! It may be something other than 12V for your particular unit.

My Sirius Stiletto (which Sirius calls a Plug and Play unit) is 5.6V only, not 12V. There is a step down of the voltage in the cigarette plug. I would suggest that you check your manual, the area around the power connector port on the radio, and/or the output voltage indication on the AC adaptor if you have one. Much better safe than fried.

If you want to hard wire your setup to the bike or your car you can get a variable voltage unit from Best Buy that they use in their vehicle installations. I'm sure Circuit City and other places that sell and install Sirius equipment would be able to help too.

Jeff in sunny, 75F Naples, FL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts