GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a article in the New York times about the two companies merging. XM won't say a work either for it or against it. Sirius CEO is for merging the two companies. There is so much overlapping of programing between the two companies that not much programing would be lost if they did merge. That would be ok with me as long as the price didn't go sky high.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
What could Serius offer to XM?

They both have dead spots, I hear.

I doubt they could add much to the programming.

IMHO 95% of it is junk, anyway.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where they would save $$$ is in advertising competing against each other, duplicate programing, bidding against each other for sports programs. They could save hundreds of millions of dollars if they merged into one company. Both XM & Sirius users would still be able to use the receivers they currently own, the benefits for the end user would be getting the programs you want and not having to be short changed by not getting something you really want. ie. NASCAR, it was on XM the new contract is with Sirius. If you don't listen to either then I guess it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference for you.

C

·
0 Posts
Would the Feds allow it..?
You know that whole anti-trust, monopoly thing

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
cjmitch said:
Would the Feds allow it..?
You know that whole anti-trust, monopoly thing
The gov't doesn't care about monopolies. They broke up ma bell for being a monopoly, into a lot of smaller companies. Look what's happening now. I just heard on the news the other day that 3 phone companies wanted to merge, and become the largest phone co. in the US. I didn't hear which 3 it was.

Check out the oil companies. Went through a small town on the way to Peoria last night. A new gas station popped up; Phillips/Conoco. Mobile/Exxon. The list goes on and on. In Illinois, 10 years ago, the gov't put a freeze on the utilities prices for NG and electricity, hoping that that would give companies enough time to come in and give some competition to keep prices low.

Yeah, right. The freeze expired today, so now the prices can go sky high; 55% in some instances. The gov't was really surprised that no newcomers came into play. But, who was it that allowed ComEd and Ameren to buy up all the smaller utilities, and start a monopoly? And...who was it that voted against extending the freeze? Now, Madigan wants to vote on it again to try to extend it.

Meanwhile, the little guys are taking it in the shorts. Don't even get me started on minimum wage; no increases in 10 years. How many raises have the congressmen given themselves in the last 10 years?

Sorry for the hijack. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've listened to XM and Sirus...can't understand why anyone would want to pay for it...IMHO, FM and AM offers much better programming, at least you can get some local information...weather, traffic, etc. If you just want to listen to music, I've found an MP3 player works great! The fee for XM and Sirus isn't worth it to me!!

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
if XM and Sirius did merge which way would subscription fees go

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
XM here -it is OK for convience when traveling, I prefer the Ipod the fidelity is better. Sound on the XM is no better than FM.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I would guess the main reason for merging is in an attempt to survive. I don't think either company has ever made a dime, I know XM hasnt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have XM... the only reason I have it, it's free :D I had them disconnect 2 receivers a year or so ago... they only killed one :wink: I got tired of fixing the Delphi's... the sound quality wasn't worth the $$$. I was using an Ipod up until a week or so ago, then my daughter gave up the XM :wink:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I certainly don't consider satellite radio service 95% junk. I've traveled many miles in my pickup and on my Goldwing listening to the same uninterrupted music programs.

Of course I have always had my radio on, listening to music even before satellite radios were available. I have been traveling 95% of my life solo and have always enjoyed listening to music but didn't much care for the commercials and no reception or very poor reception of FM/AM stations.

I've got one receiver that I switch back and forth between my pickup and Goldwing with a common docking station in the pickup and Goldwing.

I haven't found any negative aspects of owning Sirius satellite service except when Howard Stern came on board. Of course, I don't listen to him so it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Ky. Slim said:
...can't understand why anyone would want to pay for it
but when you're traveling cross country you can't keep an AM/FM station for very long and it' hard to find new ones that you like (even with the wing's auto-select).

With XM, I can listen to the same "station" from coast to coast.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
WingWing says it all for me. I have XM on the trike and move it to my motorhome while traveling in it. I go through east Texas, LA, and MS where I can't get any stations, or if I do, they are stations that I won't listen to. I also enjoy getting CNN, Bloomburg, and others without advertising. Weather, I hit my WX on the GW or my motor home radio. I also have XM in my truck, built in, and it works great. Price, I got in on a "special" and signed up for the five year plan. I enjoy listening to what I want and not having to hear some "groups". I pay for electricity in my home and XM on the road.....

·
Registered
300 Posts
xm?

what if you were on a motorcycle that didnt have a radio what would you listen to then???
i dont think it really matters but that only my two cents

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Re: xm?

jake4440 said:
what if you were on a motorcycle that didnt have a radio what would you listen to then???
i dont think it really matters but that only my two cents
That is easy, I'd start riding my 1980 CB900C again and listen to the sweet sound of that inline DOHC 4 cylinder! :)

My 900 does have a complete sound system, but I always preferred the sound the motor made on that bike!

BTW, "local" weather and news is available on XM Radio and XM Traffic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To each his own wingwing, but when I'm riding in St. Louis I'm interested in what's happening in St. Louis, when in Louisville, Louisville etc, especially traffic, weather etc.....satellite radio just doesn't provide that information...if I want to listen to music coast to coast...like I said, I'll put my favorite music on an ipod or MP3...much better fidelity and I pick the music I enjoy most and it's less expensive

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The FTC would never allow a merger. Garunteed. How can one thnk XM is a waste of money. You can listen to anything that you want from coast to coast. News, sports, talk radio, any type of music that fits your style. In regards to wanting local news, most major cities have thier own channel now. When I turn on my FM I often wonder why would anybody listen to this when there is satelite radio. I listen to moslty talk shows, there is a talk show for just about every topic you want. This is just my 02 cents.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Joseph said:
I would guess the main reason for merging is in an attempt to survive. I don't think either company has ever made a dime, I know XM hasnt.
You make an accurate point. It's no secret that NEITHER company is making money, and if they dont do something drastic, they both might fail and leave the entire sattelite radio market to some new kid on the block.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts