GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Gang,
We picked up a used Sirius radio on ebay about 8 years ago and it just so happened it came with a lifetime subscription. It's been playing just fine ever since I mounted it on the bike. But, on a recent ride, which at the time, was a SERIOUSLY ROUGH ROAD, somehow, it managed to become dislodged from it's mount and simply FELL off the bike. Well, we were doing about 55 mph at the time and, there was quite a few cars behinds and, I knew that as soon as that radio hit the pavement, it was toast. Then, with about a dozen cars following us, it would be nuclear dust by the time I managed to find a place to slow down and turn around and then try and find it.

So, obviously, I wrote it off. Now, it's time to maybe think about getting another one. Now, we know all the alternatives. There's this Pandora thing, then there's the wazoo thing I got in the trunk that gets hooked up to an I-pod that I haven't used in years and don't even know if it still works. I think there's other avenues of music from other Aps on the phone but, as I see it, there's not always phone signals around that assist in the use of phone as a music source.

And, from reading past posts and threads about Sirius/XM raising prices annually, and, many not all that happy with the service for lots of reasons, many have opted to simply cease to use it. Since the radio we purchased over 8 years ago, came with a lifetime subscription, we've never dealt with having to re-subscribe and or deal with rising prices.

With all that being said, we have Sirius in all our vehicles, motorhome, truck, Jeep and used to be, the Wing. We're music fans, not HOWARD STERN listeners. So, we like all the options of the different kinds of music, i.e. 50's, 60's, 70's, classic rock, classic country (if we can find any now and then) etc.

So, for those of you that have stand-alone Sirius/XM radios, may I ask, what makes/models etc. that you have, that have been working GOOD and without any issues? I appreciate any help here.

Scott

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I run an Onyx on my bike. The only issues I've had was a pinched antenna cable, my fault, replaced the antenna, good to go. The only other time was when I got caught in a torrential down pour while at a rally, and the radio wasn't in a protective case. The radio was fine, but the dock died a tragic death. Replaced the dock and installed the whole affair in a water resistant case. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Opps, had a little foopa and it double posted.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I run the least expensive version on my bikes. It works just as well as any of the others. Sirius will give these to you for free if you ask.

Goldwing Sirius XM Radio - 002.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well Gang,
We picked up a used Sirius radio on ebay about 8 years ago and it just so happened it came with a lifetime subscription. It's been playing just fine ever since I mounted it on the bike. But, on a recent ride, which at the time, was a SERIOUSLY ROUGH ROAD, somehow, it managed to become dislodged from it's mount and simply FELL off the bike. Well, we were doing about 55 mph at the time and, there was quite a few cars behinds and, I knew that as soon as that radio hit the pavement, it was toast. Then, with about a dozen cars following us, it would be nuclear dust by the time I managed to find a place to slow down and turn around and then try and find it.

So, obviously, I wrote it off. Now, it's time to maybe think about getting another one. Now, we know all the alternatives. There's this Pandora thing, then there's the wazoo thing I got in the trunk that gets hooked up to an I-pod that I haven't used in years and don't even know if it still works. I think there's other avenues of music from other Aps on the phone but, as I see it, there's not always phone signals around that assist in the use of phone as a music source.

And, from reading past posts and threads about Sirius/XM raising prices annually, and, many not all that happy with the service for lots of reasons, many have opted to simply cease to use it. Since the radio we purchased over 8 years ago, came with a lifetime subscription, we've never dealt with having to re-subscribe and or deal with rising prices.

With all that being said, we have Sirius in all our vehicles, motorhome, truck, Jeep and used to be, the Wing. We're music fans, not HOWARD STERN listeners. So, we like all the options of the different kinds of music, i.e. 50's, 60's, 70's, classic rock, classic country (if we can find any now and then) etc.

So, for those of you that have stand-alone Sirius/XM radios, may I ask, what makes/models etc. that you have, that have been working GOOD and without any issues? I appreciate any help here.

Scott
Check out LiveXLive its like Pandora, but allows you to download multiple entire station playlists at once for offline listening so poor reception is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have an Onyx Sirius/XM radio mounted on my bike. I can easily remove it from the mounting base and use it in my truck. I also have at no extra cost the Sirius app on my phone. The only complaint I have is reception will often get interrupted when riding on tree lined streets, especially when I'm riding the back roads on my bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an Onyx Plus. Works great. I had mine come off on a really big bump but unlike you I was on a back road. Turned around and picked it up and still works. I put a small piece of velcro on to hold it tight to the mount afterwards. No problems since. I have my antenna mounted on top of the passenger backrest. XM to Sena SM10 to 10s headsets - works very well.

Ron

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If my wife subscribes to Sirius for her car, can I use the onyx unit on the motorcycle at no additional cost? I know I can stream Sirius over my phone but not sure how much data it would “eat” on a daily basis

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Lifetime subscriptions allow for the original radio to be replaced 2 times for $75 each time and your lifetime sub will continue. Pandora etc works great as long as you have a cell phone signal.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Well I meant to say since your old lifetime subscription was under someone else’s name that might cause problems adding the replacement unit to the old lifetime subscription, I haven’t been able to figure out how to edit a post on this new board.
ok thanks to mysterious mod I finally learned how to edit a post, I just don’t understand why they used those 3 tiny dots instead of the words edit or report which would have made it so much simpler for the majority of folks ?

·
Administrator
318 Posts
Well I meant to say since your old lifetime subscription was under someone else’s name that might cause problems adding the replacement unit to the old lifetime subscription, I haven’t been able to figure out how to edit a post on this new board.
Answer on how to edit a post can be found here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an unlimited cell phone data plan, so I stream Sirius much of the day at my desk or in my car. Same with the bike. Don’t need an extra radio or additional subscription. Don’t need to hang the antenna Honda didn’t put on the bike to start with. Rarely out of cell range. It’s a great option for me.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I most certainly appreciate all your responses here. Since the radio that fell off the bike, was an ebay radio and, came with a lifetime subscription, there's no way possible to acquire another radio and transfer the subscription since we're not the original people that set up that subscription. So, if, we acquire another Sirius/XM portable radio and mount it on the bike, we'll have to set up another subscription. As far as the Onyx goes, I'll look into that. Thanks again to all for your help here.
Scott

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Well Gang,

Scott
If you knew the serial number on channel one you can transfer it to another unit i believe for 15.00

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I most certainly appreciate all your responses here. Since the radio that fell off the bike, was an ebay radio and, came with a lifetime subscription, there's no way possible to acquire another radio and transfer the subscription since we're not the original people that set up that subscription. So, if, we acquire another Sirius/XM portable radio and mount it on the bike, we'll have to set up another subscription. As far as the Onyx goes, I'll look into that. Thanks again to all for your help here.
Scott
I have had 2 mounted on the bike that the vibration was so bad it knocked out the radio. I learned from another rider to open the left side pocket on dash and put it inside with a cloth to cushion it from vibration. Mine has worked for me for 7 years now with no problems. Good luck

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The vibration on a Wing is normally quite minimal. But, on occasion, a bad road can make things a pain in the a... on the bars. It's really too bad. Even though the lost radio was a mere $38 on ebay about 8-10 years ago, it was a working, lifetime subscription Sirius radio, damn! But, it is what it is. The suggestion that transferring the subscription to a new radio ain't gonna happen because, we didn't pay for it or, it wasn't under our name anyways. So, that's out. We've had this "Bike MX3" thing in the trunk for quite a few years and haven't used it. It ties into the CD player function on the bike.

It's kind of a pain in the a$$ to use but, never the less, if we push the right buttons, we've got hours and hours of I-pod music at our discretion due to the three I-pods we've got hanging around and, an old phone with music on it. So, I've got lots of alternatives. Thanks to all that have responded.
Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an unlimited cell phone data plan, so I stream Sirius much of the day at my desk or in my car. Same with the bike. Don’t need an extra radio or additional subscription. Don’t need to hang the antenna Honda didn’t put on the bike to start with. Rarely out of cell range. It’s a great option for me.
was about to buy a xm antenna to put on my 2018 tour until I saw your post. so my wife has a Sirius subscription in her Avalon ,so can I use that subscription also with out paying for an additional service for my apple phone as I have unlimited data also and listen thru my phone on my bike thru apple car play or use blue tooth ear plugs?if so how do I do that or am I misunderstanding your message?

·
Registered
17 Posts
was about to buy a xm antenna to put on my 2018 tour until I saw your post. so my wife has a Sirius subscription in her Avalon ,so can I use that subscription also with out paying for an additional service for my apple phone as I have unlimited data also and then listen thru my iphone on my bike thru apple car play or use blue tooth ear plugs?if so how do I do that or am I misunderstanding your message?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts