GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure got a surprise a couple evenings ago. I’ve only renewed my Sirius radio subscription 1 time and that was 6 months ago after my initial free trial period. After reading on a couple forums different experiences I was prepared for a major hassle. My phone call went really painless and the operator went to a reasonable price point plan so I signed up fo 6 months. Fast forward 6 months to a couple days ago when I again called to renew my plan. Did I get a major surprise when I was quoted the full price. I asked about promotions and was told they weren’t running any at this time. Full price only! My current plan is to expire in about a week and I was told to call back at that time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My experience has been they will always come down to $30 for 6 months. They will call you back 2 or three times and eventually offer the lower price.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When I say just cancel my subscription is when they start offering to deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I waited for a return call but it didn't happen...................... or maybe I didn't answer it if the number was not linked to Sirius. I've had enough of my car warranty has expired and my Windows program is corrupt or what ever. The only thing my home phone is good for is to get me a package deal with the cable company and to give to someone when I'm making a purchase. That way I don't have to give out my cell. Anyway back to my story. They finally got to the price point I was in previously so I just re-upped for a year and won't have to deal with them again in 6 months.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I put a note in my iPhone Calendar. A day before my subscription expires I call them and tell them I need to cancel if I can't get the next 6 months for $25. I've been doing this for must be close to 10 years now. Works every time. Sometimes they give in easily, other times I have to go through one or more "supervisors" to get that "special" deal, that they can only give me this one last time. Yea, right!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love the XM product, but hate their business model! I insist that they send me a paper bill and will NOT give them a credit card with automatic renewal authority, thus allowing them to charge the than current rate!
Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jimer, care to elaborate a little on how this is done?
When I activated the Sirius service for my new GL1800 this past January, the whole process went much smoother than in the past; I simply told the agent that I want them to mail me a paper bill and I would send them a check….he simply replied OK, no problem sir!

I have Sirius in each of my cars and in the past I always had to argue and talk to sometimes as many as 3 supervisors in order to win my argument, but after a lot of perseverance, I always prevailed. I’m not sure why it was so easy this time; possibly they changed their business model, or maybe he just brought up my account and saw that they are paper billing me on all of my other vehicles. However, he did say this time they will be charging me an extra $2.00 service fee for the paper billing. That’s fine with me, I’m not a fan automatic debiting; recently there were two local scary “lesson to be learned” stories regarding auto debiting.

The first story on was about family that discovered 3 years after they sold their car that they were still paying for Sirius Radio on a car they no longer owned. Because I have so many accounts with Sirius, I also insist that they put a description of the vehicle on the invoice for that very reason.You would think that this would be a standard business procedure, but for some reason what vehicle they are billing you for unless you ask them to describe that vehicle.

The second story involved an elderly widow lady that pasted away in her home over 2 years before anyone realized that she was dead and that only happened because the monthly automatic debiting utilities and mortgage payments finally wiped out her bank account; then people came around wanting to know why the bills were bouncing.

How sad is it that nobody misses you until you stop paying them! I know that some people regard auto debit as a convenience, I view it as something else that can go wrong!

Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scary stuff, stories like that make me even more paranoid than I already am on things like this. When I renew and we’ve agreed on a contract they read me the fine print. I think what it says basically is at the end of my contract period if I don’t call SiriusXM and cancel it will renew at the regular (higher) rate. That’s why I mark it on my calendar.
That’s sad when no one misses an elderly person like that. A quick story. My work place sent 11 boats and about 23 men to New Orleans after Katrina. I don’t know why or how this happened but our cell phone worked when most of the local residents had no service. We had one of the old GPS in each boat. Nothing on the screen but tracks made where you’ve been and waypoints you’ve created. We were told to be off the water before dark so we made a waypoint of our launch point and headed out. One day myself and my partner ended up in a better neighborhood. After getting 2 elderly women out of a 2nd story window and talking with them for a few minutes before we dropped them off. One lady told us she was originally from San Francisco. Her deceased husband had owned a large auto dealership and was one of the first Mazda dealers in the U.S. Her home was immaculate with a baby grand piano in the middle of the room. It was obvious this lady was well to do. Before dropping her off we ask if she wanted to call someone and let them know she was OK? Her response,”I have no one”. That really hit me hard to think that she had survived one of the worse hurricane & floods in our history and nobody cares wether she’s dead or alive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts