GL1800Riders Forums banner

Ski Resort Riding

774 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  shuckaduck 
#1 ·
Ok, if you were going to take some time and ride CO what would be the MUST sees... we spent sometime in Steamboat Springs and then drove down through Vail, Breckenridge, Colorado Springs and then on home. I think next year for the Spring ride we would like to take a few weeks and hit all the ski resort towns, Aspen, Telluride.... bla bla bla- Any must sees that you can think of? Or cool places to ride through...

Thanks!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#2 ·
Not ski resort...
But the wife and I spent a week in Estes Park this summer!
It was great! wonderfull ride through rock mountain nat. park...
We can't wait to go back ! Any time of year would be wonderfull there!

(We honeymooned at the base of Pikes Peek! another wonderfull spot! Garden of the Gods cannot be overdone! (and a great shot of your bike at the top of Pikes is a deffinate must!

#3 ·
Durango

Earlier this year we rode across Colorado on Hwy 50. Not a bad ride in itself with a pass or two thrown in, but at the end, we turned south on Hwy 550 at Montrose. What a magnificent ride! All the excitement you could want, coupled with some great scenery as well. Not to mention some of the historical aspects of that part of the state We stayed in Durango that night and the next day rode the narrow gauge railway to Silverton.

After that, we rode to Pagosa Springs and up and down Wolf Creek Pass a couple of times. The southern part of the state looks a lot different than what we had ridden through earlier in the week.

I envy you that you have ahd an opportunity to ride through so much of the state. For us, it's still relatively unexplored, but we are looking forward to continuing our adventure.

Cloud9

#4 ·
#5 ·
I'll second what Rickster said. Plan on coming out next July for some great riding and fellowship.
As far as rides are concerned here are just a few of my favorites:
Independence pass Highway 82 from Twin Lakes to Aspen.
While in the area, Drive south of Aspen to the Maroon Bells (see signature line photo) THE most photographed mountian range in the world.
Highway 550 and the San Juan loop, Highway 145. These have some of the most some jaw dropping views, so much so that it's hard to keep the bike on the road.
Some personal private stashes: Dear Creek canyon road off of Kipling from C470 in South West Denver, It'll take you to Plesant Park road and let you out at Conifer on 285.
Bear creek out of Evergreen to Morrison.
Estes Park is great if you don't mind getting ran into by people looking at the mountains instead of their driving :cry: I always take the back road up off of 34. Turn at Drake, It's a less traveled road with some extreme twisties.
And what I call the 5 pass ride, a great day ride from our home here in Bailey: Take 285 to Fairplay, North on 9 to Breckenridge, stop for lunch or a good stretch, highway 6 past Keystone and A-Basin over Loveland pass, Jump on the super slab to Idaho Springs and the Mount Evans exit(highway 103). Once you reach the top you can take the road (Highway 5, highest paved road in America) to the top of the mountain(14,264 ft. ASL) or just follow it (103) on around and down to Evergreen. It too has some extreme twisties.
The nice thing about the roads here is that you can drive them one direction for an awesome view and then turn around and ride it the other way for a completly different view.
Hope this ramble didn't confuse you too much. If it did, take a map of Colorado from I-25 West, pin it up on a wall and throw a dart at it. Whever the dart lands, go ride there, you can't go wrong.

#6 ·
If you want to do something really awesome, stay in Ouray and rent a Jeep and go over Engineer Pass. We usually take three days to do all the passes. One day to Telluride, one to Lake City and another to just hang out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.