GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this week and have an 05 GL1800 abs, candy black cherry with a little over 6,000 miles (wish I had more time to ride it). Since it was new every once in a while it will skip in overdrive like it's coming out of gear and going back in, it only does it for a split second and then everything seems to be solid. Of course, when I take it in to the dealer they can't get it to duplicate. I changed the oil last week and it still happened once on the way home when I accelerated from about 50 to 80 mph it skipped on me at about 70, but for the last 5 days it hasn't done it at all. Has anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I HAVE AN 05 ALSO, 29,000 ON IT. I HAVE A AN ITERMITTEN MISS ON THE LOW END OF A SHIFT. HAVE HAD IT SINCE NEW ,BUT LIKE YOURS IT COMES AND GOES.
I'M TRYING TO FIGURE IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT A CLUTCH SLIPPING OR A MISS IN THE FIRING. I'M BEGINNING TO THINK IT IS MOISTURE IN THE GAS. I NOTICE IT MORE AROUND HOME THAN ON THE ROAD.
IT WILL ALSO DO IT IF YOU JUMP ON THE GAS, STEADY SPEED THEN HIT THE THROTTLE HARD, IT ONLY MISSES 2OR 3 PLUGS,THEN EVERYTHING IS FINE.
SORRY I CAN NOT HELP YOU ON THE PROBLEM,JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE RUN INTO. [/b]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
DJ57, Intermitent problems are the toughest to isolate.
Based on my 2-cycle experience --- change the spark plugs.
Or if available test each one using a pressure tester.
Cheap start and something to do. galewing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely in the transmission, whether it's a clutch slipping or jumping out of gear for a split second, I don't know.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
It might be something mechanical, but it sounds like you're getting lazy on your final shift sometimes. I've had them do that and that's all it was.

Welcome......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I first bought it last October I did have a few times where I shifted too lightly and it would jump from overdrive back down to 4th gear, since that time I've been making sure that the final shift is firmly done and haven't had the shiftdown problem at all. I can be in OD for half an hour then try to accelerate between 50 and 80 when it just feels like it lets go and reengages in a split second, it's weird and annoying.

·
Registered
309 Posts
dj57 said:
I just joined this week and have an 05 GL1800 abs, candy black cherry with a little over 6,000 miles (wish I had more time to ride it). Since it was new every once in a while it will skip in overdrive like it's coming out of gear and going back in, it only does it for a split second and then everything seems to be solid. Of course, when I take it in to the dealer they can't get it to duplicate. I changed the oil last week and it still happened once on the way home when I accelerated from about 50 to 80 mph it skipped on me at about 70, but for the last 5 days it hasn't done it at all. Has anyone had this happen?
I agree with the "lazy" shifting. Mine does it [at times] only when soft shifting.

Change gears like you mean it. Maybe you need to change the angle of the shifter to help.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
If your shift is not firm under heavy accelleration the bike will sometimes come out of gear

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
My bike does this too every once in a while, mostly on long downhill grades under deceleration. I can feel the clutch release and re-engage when it happens.

This bike uses engine oil pressure applied to a oil chamber in the clutch that is used to assist the clutch springs in applying pressure to the clutch plates. (see page 23-3, Hydraulically assisted clutch). I believe what is happening is that the oil pickup may be sucking air momentarily, and when it does, the oil pressure drops, which makes the clutch slip.

In 100,000 miles, I have had this happen probably about 12- 15 times so I haven't really worried about it much. It does feel disconcerting when it happens though. Personally, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, it is most likely just a hiccup in your oil pressure. If it starts happening more regularly, then I might get concerned, but if it only happens once in a great while, then I suspect it is "normal". Changing to a different oil might or might not help. I have had it happen with both Amsoil and Mobile One in the bike.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Fred, with respect, may I say (losing oil pressure is NOT normal).
galewing

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fred H. said:
This bike uses engine oil pressure applied to a oil chamber in the clutch that is used to assist the clutch springs in applying pressure to the clutch plates. (see page 23-3, Hydraulically assisted clutch).
Fred, I never cease to be amazed at your knowledge of the GL1800 and what makes it tick (or your ability to do things with you feet while holding the video camera). :lol: Did you sit down and read the Service Manual cover to cover the day it arrived? :roll: I remember when we got our first PC at work. This was a looong time back. I sat down and read the DOS manual from cover to cover. It really helped to understand the computer. I have to admit that I have NOT read the Service Manual. :oops: I just rely on folks like you. Once again it just shows how much knowledge there is on this forum. :)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
dj57 said:
Welcome. I'm sure you've had plenty of smiles in those 6000 miles.

It's always hard to describe noises, although I think your bike is doing the same thing mine does - mine has only done it maybe 5-6 times in 38000 miles. While accelerating (for me it's been around 45 mph and average acceleration) the tranny will jump into neutral for an instant and then clang home into gear - my impression of what's going on. This clanging home into gear will usually make the bike lurch ahead because, it happens so quickly, the engine reved up for the instant it was in neutral. The clanging is very loud with a bit of gear stripping noise thrown in.

So, is your's doing this, dj? I attribute these occurances on my bike to lazy shifting, because for me these occurances have usually happened shortly after a shift - mine's done it in both 4th and 5th gears. All the motorcycles I've had needed very positive and fast shifting to operate the best. YOMD

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
galewing said:
Fred, with respect, may I say (losing oil pressure is NOT normal).
galewing
Your oil pressure will flucuate some and a momentary drop for half a second is not all that unusual, especially if on a grade and the pickup sucks air.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
My 03 had the same problem. As with yours, it was intermittent and would of course never do it when the tech at the dealer drove it.
It got progressively worse with time and this summer the tech was able to duplicate the problem.
He ended up replacing a shift fork and two gears. The fork was badly scored and burnt blue.
I had alot of down time over this.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went on a ride last weekend to Ruidoso NM with three others, one on a 04 GW. He had been complaining of fifth gear disengaging occasionally for several months. He had taken the bike to the Dealer and mentioned it only to have no duplication of the event when the dealer rode it, of course.

Well in Alamagordo NM he heard a crunch and it popped out of 5th for the last time. He lost OD and rode the rest of the way to NM and back to Tucson in 4th gear. He took it really well considering. I would have gone ballistic. He has 35k on the odometer. He has warranty and extended warranty. This will be interesting to see what Honda does with this situation. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
ataDude said:
I agree with the "lazy" shifting. Mine does it [at times] only when soft shifting.

Change gears like you mean it. Maybe you need to change the angle of the shifter to help.

The easiest cure for lazy shifting is a good heel/toe shifter. It's hard to miss a shift with one of those. :wink:

I got used to the set-up on my Harley Ultra and when I bought the '02 Wing I looked around and found te RattleBars h/t shifter and installed it along with the Kury mini-boards and they worked very good.

When Kury came out theit their floor board h/t shifter package I liked their looks and installed them and they work even better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts