GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800 Premium Audio Comfort Nav ABS 2003 Honda Shadow 600
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts on it is that is a beautiful place. Lost to stop and look at, getting on off the horse “x” amount time gets tiring, kills the body.

but!!! i personally think it’s not made for GW’s. Atleast my size. A lot of up/down shifting, hitting the brakes hard(oooo ****). Maybe it was just me. A lot of taxing/hard on machine. Too many switch backs. I couldn’t wait to get off it in Waynesboro over by I64. I guess I didn’t even do 1/2 of it.

if I was to do it again it be a smaller bike, 2 day event. Def not killing the ride.

Nose Sky Smile Plant People in nature

Sky Natural landscape Water Horizon Plain

Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountain Horizon

Sky Plant Sleeve People in nature Tree

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
WT........fffffffffffff - I don't think I've ever heard a bad review of riding on the Skyline Drive. Wow. Perhaps you'd be better served next time out on your Wing if you headed further west and maybe explored some of the straighter, flatter roads of Western Kansas or Eastern Colorado.
Shoot, I live for winding roads such as Skyline and the BRP with their beautiful views, and my only beef with them is the traffic combined with the slug-like posted speed limits.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I was on it once, and can't wait to get back on. The only issue I had with that road was I saw 1 deer and 2 black bears on the road in the first 20 miles. Not to be rude but if you can't ride skyline stay away from the roads in western North Carolina. Cherahola would blow your mind. Spend some more time in the saddle practicing and you will learn to search out roads like this

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
I ride Skyline on occasion and find it a pleasant relaxing breath of fresh air; if not a little boring. I then get right onto the "BuRP" and head to Cherokee, then 129 and then the Cherohala. The BuRP has some boring sections in the middle, but still relaxing. I avoid holidays and weekends as much as I can so the traffic is fairly light. It is a pleasant ride and not taxing at all in my experience.

prs

Reactions: OldAge and Roadie

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think everyone got me wrong on it. I wasn’t killing it. Yes granted it was prolly bc of my 1st time doing something like this and not knowing what to expect, being amateur here. That shifting a lot was bc I got stuck behind ppl that did 30 or under for a long way til I got to pass them. Between my neck, back started killing me. I just couldn’t hand it.

sorry if I hurt anyones feelings please have putty on me🥵

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
We can only interpret what you wish to communicate by what you actually write in your posts.

As for having putty on you, as much as I liked the 1990 movie Ghost, starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore, I’ll reserve any applications of putty to my spouse in the privacy of our home. :)

Tim

·
Registered
416 Posts
Been on Skyline Drive twice and vowed never again because it's just too slow of a ride. The BRP is better though I prefer the southern half of it. We did stay at an amazing B&B in Front Royal the first time but as soon as we hit Skyline the next morning I kept thinking how much fun this road could be if we could go faster.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Living at the foot of the mountain near the Thornton Gap interchange I ride The Drive frequently, and except for the speed limit, always find the vista’s and cooler temperatures worth the ride. Having a senior pass also has it’s benefits. B.

Reactions: Easy80

·
Registered
2003 Red Goldwing 1800
637 Posts
Every time we ride Skyline or BRP before we are even off both of us want to do it again. Find the ride to be scenic and relaxing, if I want speed I can find that somewhere else.

Reactions: Easy80

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love Skyline Drive, ever since I was a child 55 years ago. Unfortunately they have left the trees overgrow in front of most of the overlooks and as a result the views aren't nearly as nice as they used to be. I was told the idea is to let it go back to its natural state.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. I guess started a bad topic. But for $25 I think it would be more pleasurable for me. It was more shifting up/down. Didn’t have a pleasurable time. I think the route I took/time/season prolly was a better experience then anyone else. Maybe it was more be cause I was more abt running out of gas. I found it very hard, taxing on the bike. Shifting up/down is very taxing on the bike and me. I saw 1 GW there. Others were HD. maybe others enjoyed it by camping there.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Think maybe you just need more seat time on the GoldWing.
Dad and I did it pulling KwikKamp trailers and didn't have to shift out of 5th hardly at all, just a nice, leisurely, (boring after the first 100 miles), cruise

Reactions: schnits

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have ridden Skyline Drive several times. Always found it pretty and pretty boring due to the 35 mph speed limit and rangers that patrol it. This year we did the southern half before getting on the BRP. This time it was even slower due to riding in rain and fog so thick that a good portion of it was spent with flashers on at 20mph dodging road debris that just appeared out of the fog just in front of the bike...
BRP is much more enjoyable IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I first started riding, I did not like Skyline Drive or the BRP and wondered why motorcyclists raved about the roads. The continuous shifting on the Yamaha 750 and Suzuki M90 was no fun. Riding the roads on my Kawasaki Concours was fun because I could stay mostly in 4th and 5th gears. I road the entire BRP on a GW F6B, which was a lot of fun. I currently ride a 2019 DCT, which is pure joy on both roads. It shifts by itself, and I hardly notice the shifting.

If you need convincing, take a look at my most recent Skyline Drive ride, posted on this board under GL1800 Pics and Videos and reposted here.

Skyline Drive on a Motorcycle, May 2022 | Honda Goldwing DCT | Ralph's Rides - YouTube

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've ridden both Skyline Drive and the BRP dozens of times over several decades on most of the bikes I've owned, and I've loved it every single time.

Skyline is more casual and relaxing at a slow feeling pace, while the BRP is a nicer ride IMHO with better scenery and more curves. On my 2018 DCT Wing it's pure joy to ride either one, what shifting? ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts